Acer Dual Screen Laptop Priced at €1500 in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I just can't wrap it around my head what the practical use of this will be.
A desktop I can understand some of us actually need multiple monitors.
But what Acer seems to be doing with this laptop is simply trying to be pointlessly different to make appeal to the product.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
:p I guess one shouldn't expect this kind of thing to be cheap, but then again people aren't really going to want to experiment with a $2000 pricetag...

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hmmm... preparing for future users by allowing for a swype-styled keyboard perhaps? I guess as long as you can program a custom interface, this could be cool. I would love not to have to memorize hot keys but instead place custom icons there instead, just like they did with cash registers at the fast food places. ;)

renixis_infinity

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Awesome but Impractical on my opinion
The concept is awesome but the price tag and its use is impractical

IT's cool to read webpages with two screens but a simple scroll up/down can match it.

Although, it misses a stylus pen :p

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Two things:

1. My house is full of code monkey's so I am sure they wouldn't approve. (lack of tacktile feed back);

2. It's Acer

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]what if you get upset and slightly hit your "keyboard".... would it shatter?[/citation]
I sure hope they thought about this, I have banged on my keyboard many times cause of frustration at certain games. It could turn out real bad if this keyboard would easily shatter cause of something like that.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I think the main benefit is you get to have a digital keyboard that lacks tactile feedback so not only do you type slower, you now have a fragile typing surface that uses a ton of power and will soon be filled with finger prints and smudges.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I think is awesome some. I'd like to find some way to get one and see the specs, drive, ram and etc. Non-wireless would be nice.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Hmmm... preparing for future users by allowing for a swype-styled keyboard perhaps? I guess as long as you can program a custom interface, this could be cool. I would love not to have to memorize hot keys but instead place custom icons there instead, just like they did with cash registers at the fast food places.[/citation]
Yes,that reminds me of the ikeyinfinity keyboard idea.A great concept no more memorizing hot keys,keyboard overlays for games,sims etc.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I think they are awesome. Knowing what the specs would be would probably be good, like drive, and rom. Non-wireless would be nice.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]k-zon[/nom]I think they are awesome. Knowing what the specs would be would probably be good, like drive, and rom. Non-wireless would be nice.[/citation]
I agree with the first two sentences, but non-wireless would be nice? For a new, premium product like this one, I'd be shocked and disappointed if it didn't have wireless-N and Bluetooth built in!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]squanto[/nom]Two things:1. My house is full of code monkey's so I am sure they wouldn't approve. (lack of tacktile feed back);2. It's Acer[/citation]
what is a code monkey? maybe a wannabe hacker?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hmmm ... throw ubuntu 10.10 on it or even 11.04( when it comes out ) with the multi-gesture. hmmmm .. ardour with the mixer on the bottom screen ? hmmmm .. Yup I can think of a lot of possibilities with that tablet.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
About 2 years ago, the One Laptop Per Child group showed a concept dual-screen notebook that does this.... the screens were like 9~10" and was designed to help prevent dirt and liquids from getting inside the notebook.

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Typing on a pure GUI keyboard? Its already annoying that i make a lot of typos on my touch screen phone as so i am used to touch typing. That will be more annoying that you have to look at every key you press just to make sure you dont hit the wrong "keys".

neokaer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I just can't wrap it around my head what the practical use of this will be...[/citation]
An e-reader you hold just like a book?
Unless you can fully customize how the keyboard is laid out (i.e. move around wasd keys if you're gaming), or flip it on it's side to view two or more documents at once while still having the keys at the bottom, I don't really see anything good coming from this other than an expensive show piece.

G

Cool idea, but not practical. You can get TouchSmart systems for cheaper than that with a larger screen, aimed for multimedia and graphic buffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.