Acer Finally Unveils Aspire S3 Ultrabook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I'm glad it won't be limited to the ugly white/silver Apple-ish design the earlier info suggested. I don't like apple's designs, and even if I did I'd probably be buying apple instead.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Acer brand name products are just another el cheapo made product for the OEM market. Nothing excites me about this brand at all. I will treat this brand name along with Samsung & HP as the vermin that you know they are. A pest that you don't want or else once you have it,you'll end up getting more problems & eventually also have to get the IT exterminator a call.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Oh, and:http://www.intel.com/content/www/u [...] .html.html[/citation]
okey but Intel has never stated its CPU's as one APU. Even when it just released its new line of hd integrated graphics on same die.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Another craptastic concept made by intel.

Awesome, worthless intel 3000 gpu. Even a low end A4 dual core Fusion has better graphics, and since this "crapbooks" do not have blazing fast cpu's, and AMD APU is a better option.

It's the same with low end ultrabooks/netbooks, everyone buys C-50/E-350, Atom is dead now. Next year with Trinity will do the same to this "crap/ultrabooks".

fictionforthetame

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I for one am really happy that Intel are pushing this idea as I would love a super thin laptop to use while on the way to/from work. It doesnt need to render movies or play games because lets face, that's what my i7 desktop is for and who wants to play games on a 13" screen & trackpad..?

I want something super light that doesnt give me shoulder cramps, lasts for weeks on standby and can take 6 ish hours of light use a day and doesn't use OSX. :)

G

To everyone who is asking why anyone would buy one of these, or why Intel is pushing the concept, the answer is the success of the MacBook Air.

The MacBook Air has become mainstream, and is selling like hotcakes. Intel doesn't want to be beholden to Apple to sell its lucrative ULV processor line. Apple has already spurned Motorola (in 1994 with the switch to PowerPC) and IBM (in 2006 with the switch to Intel), and could easily do it again if ARM or AMD chips become powerful enough for them.

However, if the "Ultrabook" takes off, Intel will have a lot of other buyers for their ULV processor line, which will help boost their bottom line, as well as give them resources to build even lower voltage CPUs that could take on ARM in the tablet/mobile device space.

Status
Not open for further replies.