Acer Founder: Windows 8 More Stable Than Apple iOS 6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hmmm... 1 OS crash in 1000 years, or 1 OS crash in 1200 years? All modern OSs(linux, OSX, Windows, etc.) with proper drivers are so stable that OS crashes don't just happen. There's always a reason, and it always indicates a problem.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]All I can say is that Apple iOS must be very flaky, I don't know how stable the Apple iOS is but Windows 8 is not that stable, mainly due to driver problems.[/citation]
No issues on the devices here and the drivers are pretty much the same as Windows 7.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I know i'm being juvenile, but when i saw that caption and that photo i couldn't resist.

acer-stan-shihJ-L-261201-3.jpg

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]No mention RealPlayer, CometCursor, IE6, SoftRAM or BMG rootkit fiasco? Something tells me you weren't around in the early days of the internet to see what really bad software was. Ever put a retail CD into your computer and have it install a rootkit on behalf of Sony without notifying you in any way? I have.[/citation]

Arguably that Sony software was working as intended...

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Stan has a bumper sticker on his car that says "Shih Happens"...It's nice that he says it is more stable, it's difficult doing Apples & Oranges comparisons as Windows USED TO BE real OS and iOS is really just a toy OS[/citation]

Fixed

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Is it:Windows 8orWindows 8 RT Surface?Please be CLEAR as it'll only confuse people[/citation]
Well, seeing as there is no such thing as Windows 8 RT, it is either Windows 8 or Windows RT, I think it's pretty CLEAR who the only person getting confused is

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
iOS is stable? When a platform advertises--no, relies on--a huge app sub-ecosystem that is inherently unstable, discussing the stability of the OS is more or less pointless. If the core set of apps I use on a daily basis are unstable (for whatever reason), that's all I'm going to consider when I think of a particular platform.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer.Oh, and that terrifying picture of Acer's founder is here just in time for Halloween!
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]"The big corporations" are the ones that brought you the other OS version, doesn`t that make them the ones that "controlled" you how you use your computer in the first place ? You`re just a crybaby, you`re throwing away innovation just because of a silly start up screen. On my laptop i use only hibernate mode,that makes me always boot up in desktop mode btw.[/citation]
methinks thou dost resent resembling the founder! ;)

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer.Oh, and that terrifying picture of Acer's founder is here just in time for Halloween![/citation]

The "big" corporations have dictated to you how you will use your computer since you first picked one up. Microsoft can, and apparently WILL force end users to learn and use whatever they decide. The Metro UI is a huge change, and people don't take to change well. But they(MS) really don't give a crap what you take to or not. Settle for Linux or do as MS says. 90+% market share on the desktop says they can, and are indeed doing it.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]No mention RealPlayer, CometCursor, IE6, SoftRAM or BMG rootkit fiasco? Something tells me you weren't around in the early days of the internet to see what really bad software was. Ever put a retail CD into your computer and have it install a rootkit on behalf of Sony without notifying you in any way? I have.[/citation]
Don't forget Metro(Modern) UI the new Microsoft BOB

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]cornandbeans[/nom]USB universal installer and a thumb drive is what you need.[/citation]
Or the Windows 7 Download Tool. (though why would you be crazy enough to install a tablet/desktop OS hodgepodge anyway?)

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]i tried and i hated every single second of that lame Fisher Price OS , so back to 7, xp64 and Debian for me[/citation]

People like you come in hating Windows 8 and leave hating Windows 8.

I've seen way too many of your type.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Why would the Acer founder say any different? It's not like he can make and sell any hardware that supports iOS. iOS is pretty rock solid.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Personally, I think the founder of Acer just makes these statements for attention. Whether you are an Apple fan or not, iOS is pretty dialed in, speaking in terms of stability. Windows 8 is new, expecting greater stability than iOS is just insane.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]I take it you've never tried Windows 8. You may not like the UI but when it comes to stability and performance, W8 does it very well - better than W7 which is an OS that has been flawless for me so far (no BSODs or errors).[/citation] You got that right. Win8 stability and performance is quite good. It not really any faster than Win7... sure, booting up is super fast. But lets see, Win7 fully loaded, takes about 15~20seconds with an SSD. Once running, you can simply go to sleep mode. And since Win7 rarely ever crashes, booting up is a rare thing.... compared to Windows9x.

Still, the UI is butt-ugly on Win8, its designed by no-talent retards. I'm buying another Win7Pro OEM this weekend for a new PC at $140. Rather than use one of my WinXP licenses to get the Win8 upgrade for $40.

YES! I have Windows8 on one of my notebooks, it runs like a champ. Not worth spending $10.00

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
how does he know that the OS is more stable, its not like the whole world is using the OS just yet....i don't care how stable it is, it still has an ugly UI

G

[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer./citation]

not hard to put your pc into hibernate/sleep/keep pc "off" without have to reboot mode.

ps: Microsoft is controlling you right now with 7. Google, or whoever your internet browser maker is, is probably tracking you right now, even with "incognito" modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS