Acer Goes All-Out With Predator XB321HK, A 32-Inch 4K IPS G-Sync Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Yikes! That is a beast, but at only 60hz not very future proof at that price point. GPUs will catch up in the Reso/Hz race so this doesn't seem to be such a smart purchase at over $1000. Although it does have my 2 fav things - IPS/Gsync. Almost there Acer (for me). If it were up to 120Hz (heck even 90Hz) - it would be on my desk for years to come.

toddybody

Distinguished
Had their TN 4K G-Sync...very nice display, but the viewing angles were atrocious.

I went with a 144hz G-Sync Monitor and have been blown away by what ~85hz+ provides. Can't wait for a 100hz 4K monitor with G-Sync. IF if was an OLED panel in addition, I'd be in display nirvana.

...gotta wait

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Do all monitors that support NVidia's GSync support NVidia's 3d Vision? Does this one? Has NVidia made public statements regarding the status or future of 3D Vision or explained why their game list hasn't been updated in years?

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Surely the HDMI at 24Hz is incorrect?

I recently bought a low-end Acer 4K monitor and it has HDMI 2.0 and thus 60Hz support. It would be pretty odd for a higher-end monitor to not have it.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Surely the HDMI at 24Hz is incorrect?

I recently bought a low-end Acer 4K monitor and it has HDMI 2.0 and thus 60Hz support. It would be pretty odd for a higher-end monitor to not have it.

Does the model you have include G-Sync? I think that may be the issue as support for G-Sync over HDMI is being readied but is still a ways off. My impression is this monitor is really intended for use with DisplayPort and the HDMI support is merely considered an extra feature.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I was really hoping to post before someone would complain about 60hz.................. ahhhhh God Bless America

It isn't a complaint - it's just a plain statement that higher rates, as long as your FPS matches it, are just better. Have you played a game at 110FPS with 110Hz? If not - try it then make another snarky comment. My point is, and what you clearly missed, this monitor at this price point is not future proof due to the low Hz. Raise that rate and the monitor is solid. At that low rate it will be surpassed by the end of this year. Deal with it - we are in the resfresh rate/FPS arms race and 60Hz is clearly losing.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Do not want to be rude, but after some disappointment with this brand I'm avoiding it for the last few years. I prefer Samsung or Dell instead, but I'm willing to change my mind if they get more reliable.

@Alex Atkin UK : What's your opinion with your purchase ? I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung UE590, is this a good candidate, or there are better options out there ?

I was really hoping to post before someone would complain about 60hz.................. ahhhhh God Bless America

It isn't a complaint - it's just a plain statement that higher rates, as long as your FPS matches it, are just better. Have you played a game at 110FPS with 110Hz? If not - try it then make another snarky comment. My point is, and what you clearly missed, this monitor at this price point is not future proof due to the low Hz. Raise that rate and the monitor is solid. At that low rate it will be surpassed by the end of this year. Deal with it - we are in the resfresh rate/FPS arms race and 60Hz is clearly losing.

No monitor is future-proof; there will always be something better later. Each person picks a price-point and level of tech they want to buy *at that moment*. To complain about it NOT being future-proof is a little silly-nilly.

... and if you think 4k @60Hz is "clearly losing", you are missing a lot of other applications besides your own narrow viewpoint. Besides the fact that a number of 4K monitors have been released that only support 30Hz, there are other users who don't require higher than 60Hz.

I personally would like to have this monitor for work, where 60Hz is perfectly acceptable for me & higher refresh isn't required.

b0oMeR

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Above comment is true. I'm a day trader and I use a 5 monitor setup with 4 1080p's and a 2560x1600. This monitor could remove two of those 1080p screens saving me space and money! Imagine running 4 - 6 FULL SIZED! spreadsheets on one monitor......(drooolsss)

MrKB

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Seeing as all I know is 60Hz refresh rates, I don't have a problem with the monitor at all. Plus I don't play the games that would benefit from such a high refresh like CS:GO. If I had the cash this would be on it's way to my house.

b0oMeR

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Agree with the above post. 4k isn't just for gaming. I can run 4 or even 6 full screen spreadsheets with a 4k resolution. Currently my setup consists of 3 1080p and a 2560x1600 monitor. I'd probably be able to remove 2 1080p's with this saving money and space.
VESA mount for swivel :)

gnarr

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
3840*2160 with 3 components per pixel and 8 bits per component at 60Hz refresh rate is 11.94Gbps.
Increase the refresh rate to 86Hz and you are at 17.12Gbps, which is as close to the 17.28Gbps limit of the DP1.2 standard as possible.

Thus it is impossible for this screen to run at 90Hz without having DP1.3

hannibal

Distinguished
You need the new DP1.4 to run those 4K monitors at 120Hz... And you need several unreleased future GPU's to run that monster.
Yep, there always is better coming somewhere in the future!
This is good monitor for really high resolution gaming! Put in two 980Ti gpus and you are ready to go... Maybe not in max settings, but in anyway...

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Yikes! That is a beast, but at only 60hz not very future proof at that price point. GPUs will catch up in the Reso/Hz race so this doesn't seem to be such a smart purchase at over $1000. Although it does have my 2 fav things - IPS/Gsync. Almost there Acer (for me). If it were up to 120Hz (heck even 90Hz) - it would be on my desk for years to come.

Not future proof? So in your mind you somehow think that games will have to run over 60fps in the future? You think are vision is somehow going to be enhanced as the years progress? Thanks Obama for your brain dead common core garbage! Now we have nothing but complete morons!

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Well aside from your horrible grammar and spelling I think I understand your comment and that is those of us that like more fluid game play, crisp graphics, no tearing, and minimal ghosting are complete morons.

Ok - just checking - I hate to think what to call you. Wait, I have plenty of things but the one that comes to mind rhymes with *.

MOD EDIT: Such profanity and insults are both unnecessary and prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.