Acer Haswell AIO Android PC Spotted; Reveal Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
The Android devices probably will have too little RAM for this to be practical, but I wonder if we can install Windows on those x86 Intel processors.

InvalidError

Titan
Only 1GB RAM on a x86-based Android device when most phones and tablets shipping now have 2GB?
They should put 4GB in there - still plenty cheap and there is plenty of space/power in an all-in-one to accommodate the few extra square centimeters of PCB space assuming the current RAM arrangement does not already have 16 chips. If it does, then going for 4GB simply requires going with 2Gbits DRAMs instead of 512Mbits ones with almost no impact on PCB space or power.

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

You'll be cutting it close with 1GB of RAM in Windows 7 64-bit.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012

It's not the 1GB of RAM that's the main problem, it's the 8GB of drive space. Windows 7 or 8 could run in 1GB, even if the experience won't be that much fun (browsers tend to take tons of RAM for example), but both Windows 7 and Windows 8 have 16GB as their disk space requirement.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
So.... They are calling this a "PC"? Is it not actually an Android Tablet? Interesting, indeed. Very interested to see where the market goes.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
This might be interesting with 32GB of storage and 4GB of ram. Also I'm guessing this is NOT a GT3E chip for gpu so graphics will probably suck at this size (even that might suck pushing a 22in (guessing 1080p, we know Intel has problems at 1366x768...LOL). If this is GT3e with imbedded 128MB then maybe it would be pretty good. At the least they should sell 2 models, one beefed up for another $150 with GT3e+32 storage+4mem. As it stands, it looks like this thing is useless for gaming even out of the box. Like my dad's nexus 10, not too good being stuck at 2560x1600, some games like avernum/avadon etc just puke and run in a small box (and perf wise, not fast enough in potent games to run 2560x1600).

I really hope they up the gpu in the next nexus10 to T4 or better. Unfortunately I don't think A330 will be out (which I think is a tie or less than T4 anyway) and T678 is 20nm AFAIK so won't be coming in ANY device before Q1. To make xmas stuff you have to be shipping in quantity next month like T4. I'm guessing S800 won't make it into many xmas devices either unless we start hearing a july ship time shortly. I've heard nothing, which leaves a T4 for nexus 10r2 for the best gpu as it blows away S600 in a tablet format on both cpu & gpu. If octa is really using PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU that is a LOSER vs. T4 also. To catch T4 or come close it needed a 554MP4. I haven't seen that model suggested in any octa info unfortunately.

Nice try Intel. I think you came up way short. Clearly your cpu costs so much you have to screw the storage, screw the system me, and probably have a weak gpu. Oh well, they have a T4 AIO already too :) I'll take a hit on the CPU perf for a better gaming experience every day in this format. This isn't running windows or windows apps so no need for x86 here. I'll take the HP or Toshiba AIO T4 if I'm in the market for one.

I guess I should just stop trying to use the comments system and always come to the forum (have to anyway to fix CR's etc). Fire the guy running the comments coding please and go back to the old comment section. Currently this sucks and is really unprofessional for a site this big.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
This was debunked. Why is this story still up?
Update: It turns out CNET were mistaken because of wonky retailer listings and there's no new Intel-powered AiO from Acer. Retailer confusion between the Texas Instruments 4430 and Intel Haswell 4430 caused the error, and it's simply the Acer DA220HQL we reported on back in February, which is now available from retailers at $400 and up. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

InvalidError

Titan

Considering that Intel wants over $400 for GT3e chips and this tablet sells for ~$400, it certainly isn't a GT3e part.

And based on what alx just wrote, it seems exfile got mixed up between TI's OMAP4 4430 ARM chip and Intel's i5-4430... lol.

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
But then, what is the other stuff about 'Dadi Perlmutter, Intel executive vice president and chief product officer, said at the time that Android devices running the company's mainstream Core processors could sell for as little as $399 to $499' if the chip is indeed a Texas Instruments?

Status
Not open for further replies.