Acer Launching Chromebooks with Core i3 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelfox

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
"...based on Intel's Celeron 2955U processor (2.40 GHz, 2M Cache)" Typo, the 2995U is a 1.4ghz cpu, not 2.4

Sparksx

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I have a $250 Acer C720 with the 2955U and 4GB ram. Its nice. Now I really wished they made a mid range chromebook with 4gb ram, i3 processor, larger battery, 32gb-64gb ssd option and ips screen.

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I was researching Chromebooks to replace my aging laptop just yesterday. This is exciting news for me since I don't want to go with a Celeron processor!

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I've never had one but it has USB ports, so it should be doing *some* local processing. Though RAM is most important with these machines. All reviews I've seen say that they run much better with 4GB of RAM.

Are the SSD's soldered to the board or can they be changed for something a bit larger, like a MX100?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well chrome apps are mostly in the cloud which processing is done in thew cloud. I know Chrome has more offline apps but still the huge majority are online cloud apps. You can run those same apps on a windows machine inside the Chrome browser.

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
true. I guess I need to go to best buy and play with a chromebook for a while and see how I like the OS. or install it to my old laptop and get to know it before I make the switch.

EDIT: If anyone is like me and interested in trying out Chrome OS before buying one of these or to just breathe new life into an old laptop, check this out: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

further edit: That is not an official build of Chrome OS so you don't get the full experience. It may not be possible to do this legally with the full version... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.