Acer Monitor Audio not working

AngrySoviet

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Just bought a new desktop and LCD Acer Monitor. Model is R240HY. Connected it to desktop with an HDMI cable. Display is fine, sound panel says everything's fine and working, and I can hear just fine using headphones, but for some reason the monitor's speakers won't work. Any ideas? Thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Headphones connected to the PC case i gather?

Windows can only handle one audio source at a time. In Windows audio playback devices you'll have options to either select speakers or monitor.

So selecting speakers runs audio through the motherboard only but knocks out monitor speakers.

Selecting monitor knocks out motherboard audio and speakers and headphones connected to it.

AngrySoviet

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Yes, the headphones are connected to the PC case.

I have two options under "Sounds." First is R240HY-4, which is connected through the HDMI cable. The other is Realtek Digital Output. I tried disabling one and letting the other stay enabled, but this didn't solve anything.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you upload a screen shot of the device list?

Should look something like this

recording_device5.png

Realtek Digital is optical not analog. Should have speakers? in that list which is for analog or headphones.

To use R240HY-4, right click it and click set default device.

To use computer speakers again, do the same for speakers

AngrySoviet

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
To my embarrassment I don't know how to post pictures on this website; first time using it in years. However, my screen looks more or less like yours. The Monitor Icon (R240HY-4) has a green check mark on it, it says it's the default device, and the audio bar on the side goes green when a video plays in the background; for all intents and purposes the audio is fine, but I just can't hear it.