Question Acer Nitro 5 (2022) - i7-12650H and 3070ti low CPU Usage, Overheating, and Throttling(?)

Jul 9, 2023
My AN-515-58-79X9 has absurdly high CPU temps (95-100 degrees Celsius) and usage (85% +) while my GPU has relatively low (80 degrees and 40%) temp and usage. This is with the fans spinning at max and the performance preset on while forcing the GPU through MUX. I was playing Far Cry 5 with max settings, 1440p, and getting average ~80 fps on the bench.

Cinebench gave me 11914 on multicore while the CPU consistently hit high temps. This was the highest score it hit in multiple runs. In general it also felt like the device was underperforming.

Is there anything I can do to improve this and get scores back up to normal? Should I replace this device? (I have this option available until 12th July)

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.