Acer Predator X34 Vs Asus PG279Q

CalvinHaire

Commendable
May 14, 2016
With nvidia releasing the new gtx1080 i feel its time to update my build. But i can't decide on which monitor i should get, I plan to use it strictly for gaming.

Price and PC performance should not be taken into consideration, I have spent a considerable amount of time in researching and have narrowed it down to:

Acer Predator X34: 3440x1440, 100Hz and a 4ms response time

Or

Asus PG279Q: 2560x1440, 165Hz and a 4ms response time

I love the idea of a 34inch 21:9 but am a little concerned about the 100Hz, as i have heard in some reviews there is a noticeable difference from 60Hz to 144Hz. I am not to sure if going from 100Hz to 144Hz will be as noticeable? I would love to see the monitors in person but living in the UK means there are no nearby stores that stock both or even 1.

So, which one do you think is better, or at least better for me? Thanks to everyone who helps me make the decision! I am open to suggestions as well.

Solution
I fell in love with curved ultrawide and wanted 144hz and gsync, so I had to compromise and go 2560x1080 with the Acer Z35. I think you need to prioritize the ranking of Aspect Ratio, Resolution, and refresh. You could also ad in response times too. Then find the display that is best match. It's hard to say which of the two you selected are better for you.
It used to be with monitors a linear hierarchy based on size and quality. Now you have to decide on hz, max res, panel type, aspect ratio, latency, adaptive sync, and even flat vs curved.

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I fell in love with curved ultrawide and wanted 144hz and gsync, so I had to compromise and go 2560x1080 with the Acer Z35. I think you need to prioritize the ranking of Aspect Ratio, Resolution, and refresh. You could also ad in response times too. Then find the display that is best match. It's hard to say which of the two you selected are better for you.
It used to be with monitors a linear hierarchy based on size and quality. Now you have to decide on hz, max res, panel type, aspect ratio, latency, adaptive sync, and even flat vs curved.

Solution

noobgamer40

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
I would take the acer x34 in a heartbeat..
It's so immersive when play with..
Unless your strictly a competitive cs:go player, go for the x34
100hz vs 60hz is definitly noticable

The only problem I can think of is that not all games support the resolution and you will see black bars, but most do support it..

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Amazon gives a thirty day window to return an unwanted purchase. Check their Returns guide.

I ended up with an Acer Predator 34"curved G-sync (after returning a Samsung 34" as a 'mistaken purchase') and the Predator experience is excellent. I often slow down and just enjoy the scenery. I got flickering at 100hz but a steady and very acceptable result at 95 so that's where I sit. A drop of 5hz is nothing and I believe the 100hz is a maximum- not a guaranteed figure.. I did remove the protruding legs - cool though they may be -and put the screen on a monitor arm simply because I wanted the desk space. I'm not sure most folk would notice any difference from 95/100 to 144.

Witcher 3 is now running just fine at 3440 x 1440 @ 95hz but I had to seek help from WSGF to make the necessary adjustments to get rid of the black bars at the side, which bars may be an irritant if one can't live with them during the game concerned.

Googling WSGF will show you a games list showing those that cope with 21:9 ultra widescreen and indicating what adjustments may be needed for optimum performance.

Good luck.