Acer Recalls Predator Deskops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
cabose369, I think you underestimate Acer computers, they are regarded as fairly reliable. I have an old one that has lasted more than four years without issues.

Silluete

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]I wish I could just buy the case alone. Dang it's a hottie.[/citation]
So true. I also want one of the alienware case. Too bad in my country they don't even sell antec case.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I do not think Alienware cases are all that great. They seem to be made of a great deal of plastic, and their front swinging door (over the CD drives) seems cheap. I can't speak for the Acer, for I have never seen it in person, but from photos, its internals seem messy and cramped. Frankly, I think the Acer is garish.

galloviejo

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
This is about par for an Acer POS.

I bought my second (my first and my last) Acer brand item a few years ago, a scanner. The release on the bottom of the scanner would not function. I sent several e-mails to the two service contact addresses that were listed on the set up information. When Acer did not respond for a week, I returned the scanner to the store where I bought it for a cash refund. Acer STILL has not responded after all these years.

Acer's LCD monitors usually have the most bad pixels, backlight problems, rogue color patterns, etc. reported of all the monitors that are customer reviewed on Newegg™.

the insulation on the computer’s internal wiring can become bent or stripped, causing the wires to overheat while the product is in use.
Makes you wonder what kind of cr@ppy PSU they are using. This is a goodd lesson for all other OEMs NOT TO use cr@ppy PSUs, and design a good case. The case looks good, but performance should be the #1 consideration in designing a case.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hmmm this is pretty unusual for an acer. I used to do warranty work on a lot of their models and they've never really had much in the way of overheating problems especially when it came to wiring.

Guess they changed PSU vendor. Hmmm now that I think about it that could explain that call I got where someone's PSU spontaneously combusted shortly before I switched jobs....

Forsaken503

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
From the sounds of it, it's actually a problem with wire insulation being sliced off/wires being pinched and allowing a short circuit/overheating. Also, as long as the current in the short does not exceed the maximum ratings of the power supply, it probaly won't automatically shut off. And with 20+ amps available on the 12V rails on modern PSU's, it's easily enough to start a fire. I don't know of any PSU's that have internal ground fault detection since the chassais is bonded to the PSU's ground, it would be extremly difficult to detect it.

Note: assuming the short is on the 12V rail and a nominal current output of 25A available, the minimum resistance before it would exceed the PSU's current rating would be 0.48 ohms. the resistance of a partially stripped wire could easily exceed that, therefore the PSU wouldn't trip on overcurrent

Status
Not open for further replies.