Acer Reveals First 3D Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seems like the first screen with stripped polarization filters is in use today!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]urlsen[/nom]i use glasses normally what are they gonna doo make perscripsion 3d glasses...sorry for typo[/citation]
Usually you put the 3D glasses over your regular glasses (when they fit). I have glasses for distance (I can see a computer monitor or walk around normally without them, the glasses only add a little extra sharpness for farther distances) and the polarized 3D glasses in the movie theaters fit fine over them.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
whats the point of 3D without hardware acceleration? this is stupid. you can build a gaming rig and buy the nvidia 3dvision glasses+monitor bundle for it for less than this consts.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i'm guessing the horizontal lines are because of interlacing where the odd rows of pixels are for one eye and the even rows are for the other eye.

G

About spex: when you're talking about them you really should distinguish between polarized ones [like Acer's] and shutter glasses. The former are just [polarized] sunglasses. No big deal, unless you're the same kind of person who won't wear headphones either. The latter, shutter glasses, are Nvidia's system, and they *are* a PITA [Pain In The A**].
About Acer's system, however good it turns out to be i don't think it's going to fly. Those who just want a laptop, at competitive B-line company prices [like Sharp etc.], will balk at the 3D. And most people like me, 3D buffs, aren't going to want to be forced to buy a laptop [I want a 24" to 32" 3D monitor with black box that i can bolt onto my present system]. I don't think that leaves a lot of potential buyers.
Its 3D may [not] stink, but the marketing seems dubious.

nlcbryan

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]I don't know about anybody else, but I like 2D... if I wanted 3D, I'd stop playing on my computer and go outside.[/citation]
Agreed. totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.