Acer Sees More Success in Chrome OS Than in Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
We are used to hear the loosers of the end of the year sales marathon whine about their bad sales due to Windows 8. But there are winners as well, who managed in this crisis period to significantly increase their sales volumes : Lenovo, Asus, Sony,...
Given that a good part of the consumers is most of the time not even capable to understand the subtile differences between an OS, an Office Suite and the brand written on their computer, I'd say that the looks and perceived quality of the devices mattered much more than "has it Windows 8 or Windows 7". In these trouble times when buyers are distracted by smartphones and tablets but still don't have an unlimited budget, you have to come with an excellent PC product or you are out. Sorry Acer, Dell, HP, you are the loosers this time !

G

Well go figure..

Packard Bell = Crap Quality
eMachines = More Crap Quality
gateway = MeH another runner ( bar a couple of surprise higher end models)
Acer = Bottom of the Rung Brand

There is the answer...

Lenovo seem to be doing mighty fine and samsung are not complaining either!

G

hello,

i bought the Microsoft windows 8 pro upgrade (download version from MicroSoft) , Now once i upgraded, a few weeks later i wanted to re-install just to see how the upgrade gose from a fully formated hard disk .. first i had to install windows 7 then i could either upgrade from within windows 7 or reboot and install fresh from reboot but only if you have an OS installed first, if you use the upgrade disk and install on just a blank/formatted hard disk it will install, but when you type the windows 8 pro key in to reg windows 8 pro it will say the key is for upgrade only and will not reg the os, so you have to have an OS installed first, hence it being an upgrade key, wonder if a full oem key would work with the windows 8 upgrade disk ? anyway the windows 7 key no longer works with windows 7 if i try to register it, it just says they key is no longer valid (or words to that effect) and will need a new windows 7 product key, i guess this because i upgraded to windows 8 (which im happy about apart from if i work how much windows 8 has realy cost me here in england) ok windows 7 home premium oem cost me 120 uk pounds plus 24.99 uk pounds for windows 8 download then 10 uk pounds because i wanted the disks total 154.99 uk pounds, so if you up grade to windows 8 you do give up your windows 7 licence. after using windows 8 pro since the upgrade release I have got used to the OS and would not go back to windows 7, any issue with drivers will be sorted out over time, the same as it has with all other OS's befor windows 8 .... i suppose some people just find change hard.

so if I need to re-install from scratch/new hard drive, I have to do it this way.

1. install windows 7 and type in windows 7 key but do not try to reg it just basic disk install no updates
2. once windows 7 installed either upgrade from with in windows 7 at desk to or reboot pc and start up grade that way.

there is a BIG FLAW I figured out with windows 8 reg that they have over looked, but I'll let you sus it out as I don't want to get in trouble for share'n the info .. good luck :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]Let's hope that with SP1 Microsoft will stop trying to make us use our PCs like they were smartphones.[/citation]
Don't count on it. Microsoft knows the old type of desktop is in remission and need to innovate. If they want to keep being an os provider they'll need to change how people use the computers, and essentially that's what they're doing.
The world is moving to a cloud infrastructure, and for that to work you just need a client computer with internet capability - not the fullblown windows 7 awesomeness.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Well go figure..Packard Bell = Crap QualityeMachines = More Crap Qualitygateway = MeH another runner ( bar a couple of surprise higher end models)Acer = Bottom of the Rung BrandThere is the answer...Lenovo seem to be doing mighty fine and samsung are not complaining either![/citation]
NB : Packard Bell = property of Acer since 2008

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Look, I get why people bag on Windows 8 but it's still way better than Chrome OS. Just sayin'.[/citation]Depends on usage, I think. For me Chrome OS is a matter of intense curiosity but I'd not use it for a daily driver machine, I need all my software etc which won't be supported.

But if I were just web browsing or doing simple office tasks, I can see why it would be tempting over Windows 8.

G

Its simple really. The economy is in the dump and users right now are looking for a cheaper solution. They look at Windows 8 machines and see its $200-$300 more than a Chrome OS notebook and they ask why get Windows 8 when Chrome OS can do everything they need it to do. People just want to be on the internet and do the normal day to day tasks that Chrome OS can accomplish.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]acer = cheap[/citation]

I bought a Acer V3 771 for about 800$ and I love it! Look great, awesome full HD display, great clicket keyboard, multi-touch touchpad, Core i7 3612qm, 8GB of DDR3 1600, GT 650M 2GB and 1500GB of storage. Awsome notebook, just feels great in my hands. Very fast, AND 300-400$ CHEAPER then HP's (witch im my experience don't last more than 2 years befor needing reballing) or other manufacturers.

I'm sorry but I just don't see why I should pay significantly more money for less features just to pay for a brand name.

As a laptop mainboard service owner, I recommend the Acer V3 and V5 series to EVERYONE.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]i think you're the stupid shitz here. So what if people hates the Windows 8 UI? Even MS acknowledge that...the guy who design this 'resigned'(aka forced to leave).[/citation]

Yeah, Synofski designed everything himself... that's what happens in the real world, right? The President does all the work while Designers and Product Managers stare at the wallpaper. Yes, he can be held accountable for approving / backing the concepts / ideas / designs, but I really doubt any of them actually sprung out from his head. And I also have serious doubts that the people who are now blaming him for everything didn't support him at the time.

[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]i think you're the stupid shitz here. So what if people hates the Windows 8 UI? Even MS acknowledge that...the guy who design this 'resigned'(aka forced to leave). And yes, i have tons of troubles with Windows 8....soundc crackling/stuttering with XFI and ASUS XONAR cards, TVERSITY keep losing the libraries settings, Acronis clashes with Start8 etc.Other than.[/citation]

Another brilliant comment... blaming the OS for software / driver issues... would you expect something that was built for XP to run flawlessly on Win7 too without proper support?
Win8 has enough flaws that you don't need to fabricate any. It is a true usability nightmare, but ignorantly bashing any other of it's features because of how much you hate the UI is just wrong.

coolhw

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Meanwhile Lenovo is doing mighty fine - revenue last quarter is up - seeing growth in both their tablets and PC shipments. Myself, I can't wait for the Lenovo Helix to be released; from my point of view, best of hybrids as with its i7 and 8GB ram its got enough for coding.
I love windows 8 - works just fine for me. Still very productive... besides, most of my frequently used desktop apps are still pinned to my taskbar...and I get the benefit of live tile updates. I honestly don't understand the whining about missing start menu... I used it very seldomly in XP/win 7...and if you did use it a lot, well, I'm sorry, you've got used to a very inefficient way of using windows...time to change.

sergiuparaschiv

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Acer mostly sells low-end products.
People that buy low-end products do so because of the smaller price.
Windows 8 means +$100, Chrome OS means +$0.
I bet they also sold a lot more laptops with FreeDOS on them.

I also understand that, probably, you don't get these offers in the US. But the rest of the world can rejoice. We are not forced to buy a new license of Windows every time we buy a new PC.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
What a misleading headline. I don't see anywhere that states they're moving more Chromebooks than they are Windows 8 machines.

Even if they were it doesn't mean much. This is Acer. No one looks to Acer for quality anything. Cheap stuff like Chromebooks is their thing.

G

hmm then penny has just drop'd .... if windows 8 pro sells for less than 155 uk punds then the cheap upgrade I got dose not work out to be cheap at all ! as my windows 7 license is no longer valid..... now that will piss me off. because I have a pc I could of put the windows 7 on now :/

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]And oh yeah, i was DAY-1 adopter of Win Vista and Win 7...love both of them. Win 8 just sucks.[/citation]
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]i think you're the stupid shitz here. So what if people hates the Windows 8 UI? Even MS acknowledge that...the guy who design this 'resigned'(aka forced to leave). And yes, i have tons of troubles with Windows 8....soundc crackling/stuttering with XFI and ASUS XONAR cards, TVERSITY keep losing the libraries settings, Acronis clashes with Start8 etc.Other than Hyper-V, i don't see a single advantage of Win 8 over Win 7 (and Win 7 looks way better with the Aero transparent windows).So before you start insulting people. look at yourself first. You sounds REALLY STUPID to me.[/citation]

Honestly.. Every problem you quote is a problem with a third party Driver.. Has nothing to do with windows 8. Last time I checked it's up to the peripheral card maker to update their software.. They've had over a year to do it.. so maybe go hate on their forms.. Windows 8 has nothing to do with it..

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]stevevnicks[/nom]hello,i bought the Microsoft windows 8 pro upgrade (download version from MicroSoft) , Now once i upgraded, a few weeks later i wanted to re-install just to see how the upgrade gose from a fully formated hard disk .. first i had to install windows 7 then i could either upgrade from within windows 7 or reboot and install fresh from reboot but only if you have an OS installed first, if you use the upgrade disk and install on just a blank/formatted hard disk it will install, but when you type the windows 8 pro key in to reg windows 8 pro it will say the key is for upgrade only and will not reg the os, so you have to have an OS installed first, hence it being an upgrade key, wonder if a full oem key would work with the windows 8 upgrade disk ? anyway the windows 7 key no longer works with windows 7 if i try to register it, it just says they key is no longer valid (or words to that effect) and will need a new windows 7 product key, i guess this because i upgraded to windows 8 (which im happy about apart from if i work how much windows 8 has realy cost me here in england) ok windows 7 home premium oem cost me 120 uk pounds plus 24.99 uk pounds for windows 8 download then 10 uk pounds because i wanted the disks total 154.99 uk pounds, so if you up grade to windows 8 you do give up your windows 7 licence. after using windows 8 pro since the upgrade release I have got used to the OS and would not go back to windows 7, any issue with drivers will be sorted out over time, the same as it has with all other OS's befor windows 8 .... i suppose some people just find change hard.so if I need to re-install from scratch/new hard drive, I have to do it this way.1. install windows 7 and type in windows 7 key but do not try to reg it just basic disk install no updates2. once windows 7 installed either upgrade from with in windows 7 at desk to or reboot pc and start up grade that way.there is a BIG FLAW I figured out with windows 8 reg that they have over looked, but I'll let you sus it out as I don't want to get in trouble for share'n the info .. good luck[/citation]

No dude just download the Windows 8 ISO direct form Microsoft and use the key they emailed.. Done it tons of times.. The key they give you allows a clean install

G

odd because I try'd the iso, burn'd it to disk, it would install but not reg with the e-mailed key because it couldnt find a previous version of windows, same for the disks Microsoft sent me. so I have to an OS installed first before my windows 8 key can be reg'd.

G

at least windows 8 pro is selling for 189.99 uk pounds so i saved money after all

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]stevevnicks[/nom]odd because I try'd the iso, burn'd it to disk, it would install but not reg with the e-mailed key because it couldnt find a previous version of windows, same for the disks Microsoft sent me. so I have to an OS installed first before my windows 8 key can be reg'd.[/citation]

If you originally used the windows 8 upgrade advisor.. there was a step that you could choose to install by creating Media. From there you can build a DVD iso or direct to flash drive.. I suspect the activation issue you had was because you previously activated the key on your first upgrade. I'm not a big fan of upgrading an existing OS. so I always clean install..
An interesting thing I found out about windows .Skydrive . and Windows phone 8 tonight.. I deleted a picture off my phone (Lumia 920) and it appeared in my recycling bin on my Desktop PC running windows 8 :)

G

oh also when install i do clean install, i dont upgrade over old OS it just needs old OS reg info the old OS files are deleted, i used the option Dont Save Anything. then after install is complete i use windows to delete the old.OS folder. it weird because after using windows 8 for a couple of months going back to windows 7 pc seems dated and im much happier with windows 8 over windows 7, but guess what people just because you hate windows 8 dose not mean windows 8 is going to be a flop ... its here to stay like it or not. would i pay 189.99 uk pound for it not a chance because i got it for 24.99 uk pounds. :p

[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Well go figure..Packard Bell = Crap QualityeMachines = More Crap Qualitygateway = MeH another runner ( bar a couple of surprise higher end models)Acer = Bottom of the Rung BrandThere is the answer...Lenovo seem to be doing mighty fine and samsung are not complaining either![/citation]

HP and PB aren't the same.

[citation][nom]homiedontrightclick[/nom]Another Windows 8 proof of fail. I'm waiting for an official apology honestly.[/citation]

Some OEM companies are doing great with Windows 8. If anything, it's merely proof that some companies areworse than others in some ways. For example, Lenovo is not having any issues selling machines with Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS