Acer's Nvidia, AMD-based Tablet Size Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Acer+tablet=plastic/cheap=breaks[/citation]
Your math is questionable. How does acer plus tablet equal plastic divided by cheap? How do you divide by cheap anyways? :p

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Acer+tablet=plastic/cheap=breaks[/citation]Yeah, somehow the foxconn products = not cheap products made with sweatshop labor... i fail to see that logic

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Acer does makes some devices that are quite appealing on paper.
How about in practice? My father has a Acer gaming laptop with a 9600m GT 512MB. Brand new out of the box, at stock clocks, 60 seconds brings the GPU to 120 degrees, thermal shutdown. Completely unblocked airflow. The newest drivers don't help a bit.

So, I don't care if Acer claims it craps ponies, I'm not buying anything that make. Build quality is extremely important if you expect to use something for more than a few months.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Acer does makes some devices that are quite appealing on paper.How about in practice? My father has a Acer gaming laptop with a 9600m GT 512MB. Brand new out of the box, at stock clocks, 60 seconds brings the GPU to 120 degrees, thermal shutdown. Completely unblocked airflow. The newest drivers don't help a bit.So, I don't care if Acer claims it craps ponies, I'm not buying anything that make. Build quality is extremely important if you expect to use something for more than a few months.[/citation]

Your first mistake was getting a gaming laptop with a 9600M GT. In that series you should have picked something with a 9800M GS/GTS/GT/GTX.

Though personally when it comes to gaming laptops I go with Asus.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
All I am looking for is a tablet with a responsive interface that has activesync support so I can sync it with exchange, that isint an iPad and has a bigger screen than an iPhone.

Anyone have some suggestions?

ares1214

Splendid
Very nice to see the new AMD offerings are finding a home. Afterall, they were quite impressive from what i saw. Tegra 2 is nice too. As long as it isnt very expensive, i might actually buy a tablet eventually, maybe that dell convertible thing.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I think Acer gets a bad reputation by a lot of people. If you did your homework, then you would realize that Acer offers pretty good hardware at a lower cost compared to their competition. At that lower price point, you should realize that the build quality might be a lesser then that of the higher priced products. So, dont buy an Acer... and then blame Acer, if the quality is not up to standards with the higher priced products on the market.

For example. I was looking for an entry level gaming laptop and I didn't want to spend to much. I looked at all the notebook review sites, cross referenced with mobile benchmarks (cpu + gpu)and looked at pricing. I ended up buying an Acer Aspire 5740G-6395 (i5-520M/ HD 5650/ 4GB DDR3) for $700. The nearest equivalent from the other companies was around $1000 at time of purchase.

Sure, the Acer is not built as well as the $1,000 equivalent units, but I ended up with a very nice laptop for hundreds less and it plays all my games. No over heating and no other problems to report. I can accept the somewhat lesser quality because I knew what I was buying and how much I was saving in doing so.

Just know what your buying and you'll be happy.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Acer does makes some devices that are quite appealing on paper.How about in practice? My father has a Acer gaming laptop with a 9600m GT 512MB. Brand new out of the box, at stock clocks, 60 seconds brings the GPU to 120 degrees, thermal shutdown. Completely unblocked airflow. The newest drivers don't help a bit.So, I don't care if Acer claims it craps ponies, I'm not buying anything that make. Build quality is extremely important if you expect to use something for more than a few months.[/citation]
BIOS and/or VBIOS updates. If that doesn't work, warranty. I'd have bought one with a Radeon Mobility, myself, since I've had a couple of Nvidia-powered laptops in the family die as a result of Nvidia's Bumpgate.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Anyone else notice that the photo angle for the 10 inch vs the iPad completely throw comparative sizes off for the devices. Why post an article "how they compare in size" and then give a crappy photo.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Haven't got an Acer myself, but I've helped two friends get an Acer recently & they haven't complained at all. There's a 2 year guarantee in Denmark, so even if something happens, they'll get a replacement. I was just surprised how Acer could sell them so cheap, where the last one had hardware like an i3 & HD5470 far cheaper then anyone else. Either they're whipping their Chinese workers harder then the rest, or they're just making less profit. Apple already has many worker suicides, so Acer must be making less profit.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Acer+tablet=plastic/cheap=breaks[/citation]

i'd rather have cheap plastic than HPs or Apples with faulty graphics chips.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I really can't wait until all of these companies get these tablets to market. I think that the competition is a good thing and once it all shakes out, we'll be left with some nice options.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Thorkle[/nom]Your math is questionable. How does acer plus tablet equal plastic divided by cheap? How do you divide by cheap anyways?[/citation]
Maybe not if he uses boolean algebra. I guess it's all a matter of interpretation. The signs "+" and "/" could be used to represent pretty much any kind of binary operation and I guess we may agree that "=" represents an equivalence relation. But of course if you want the operators to define a mathematical space, say a Hilbert Space or Banach space or algebra, then they must satisfy a certain set of relations such as being commutative, associative and so on. I don't remember exactly what relations that must be satisfied for each given entity though, Wikipedia is your friend; read, rejoice and feel smarter...

Status
Not open for further replies.