ACLU: DreamHost Warrant Is A 'Clear Threat' To The Constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scope of the warrant is just too broad in my non-legal background opinion (Then again... looking at the requirements stated in the U.S. Constitution, any citizen, regardless if they possess a law degree or not, can be a supreme court justice. Won't happen now though... it's been too politicized.)... They need specifics. They need specific names. I don't condone what goes on at that site, trust me. However, they need a different approach... like with Capone if they can't find ties/evidence that will legally stand up... to take it and those guilty of inciting violence, down. (It's one thing to vent and blame, it's another to incite violence and/or act in violence.)

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to use the Patriot Act (in which many of its laws and permission actually do violate the U.S. Constitution and yet the ACLU hasn't even bothered to speak out against let alone fight it in court) to get the info they want.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

First, lots of people complained about it. It was headline news for weeks.

Second, an IRS investigation of the actions of some organizations is a very different thing from a Justice Department investigation of all individual users of a website. The IRS wasn't looking to collect any information it could find on the people who make up the groups it was investigating; it was checking for illegal funding practices by the groups as a whole. What's happening here is much more troubling.

I only up-voted this because of the last part: "nobody complained about that"... There was some outcry, but they should have complained just as loudly and for just as long, if not longer, as they complain now about this; It was government overreach and abuse of powers.

Other than that, the two are like apples and oranges: different enough they can't really be compared on the same terms.

(Edited to reflect there was some outcry over the abuse of IRS power.)

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

You are correct, the incident in 2010 and this current one are very different. You are also right, my point was that the people and media will probably raise a much bigger stink over this than they did in 2010 simply because of who's president.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It was not long ago I hated what the ACLU was doing. But recently, they have been doing some good. It's nice to see they finally got their priorities straight.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The ACLU has definitely stepped up its game lately, perhaps jettisoning some of the legacy baby boomer lawyers who were so pro government that they forgot the legacy goals of the ACLU (or maybe just so stoned and lazy).

This is clearly an attack on the 1st Amendment and it should be fought tooth and nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.