mastermoders

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
Hi, I am attempting to install Windows on the following system:

CPU: 1x Intel Xeon E5-2603
RAM: 128GB 1066 MHz (16GB x8)
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD
BIOS: v3.3

I run into an ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD attempting to install versions of windows newer than Windows 2008 Server. I have tried 'compatible' operating systems (Server 2012) listed on the Supermicro website, as well as newer ones like windows 10 and Server 2016/19, but the error still persists.

I have followed many troubleshooting guidelines for similar boards, suggesting to update the BIOS in recovery mode, or boot to the install disk without an ethernet connection, but nothing has worked. I have seen various people saying anything from the Sandy Bridge CPUs not being compatible, RAM compatibility issues from Micron / Samsung memory, to a newer BIOS causing the issues.

I was able to run a memtest on a linux install and there were no errors present. I have not been able to find any older BIOS for the board to test if that's the issue. Support at Supermicro is going to attempt to replicate the issue tomorrow, but I thought I'd post here in case someone has an idea of what could be going on

Many thanks,
MasterMods

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You may want to bring back the installer for Windows 10. I'm curious to learn how you created the installer? Did you use Windows Media Creation Tools? See if you can get things moving(with Windows Server) with only one stick of ram, as opposed to all the ram you've listed.

Are all sticks of ram the same?

mastermoders

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I have tried windows 10 with an older version (USB that comes in the win10 package), using the media tool and as for the server attempts, I’ve used both an installation disk and running the upgrade from Server 2008

I’ve tested to make sure the USB media disk runs on other machines and I’ve been able to install all versions on an older AMD server

All of the RAM is the same, I’ll pull them out now and test with one to see if there is any issues

mastermoders

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I have tried with the lowest supported configuration in the manual (2 DIMMs) as well as trying different DIMMs in single / dual configuration, it doesn’t seem to make a difference