[SOLVED] Acronis True Image vs. Macrium Reflect for File Backups

bat0nas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Hi,
I'm looking for file backup solution for my data and those two apps caught my attention.
I want to backup to other disk(or network location) or OneDrive.

I tested demo versions of both:
  • Acronis: very simple, cheap and looks like "just works" approach.
  • Macrium: same.. but GUI not so intuitive. 2 times more expensive.
I've got the opinion from tech forums - Macrium Reflect is super. Acronis - not. But all the discussions were mostly related to disk cloning or disk image/Windows backup.
I'm interested in file backup only.

Which one do you use and why?

PS: I am also considering freefilesync to copy my data to OneDrive folder. But that's a bit different type of software.

Ralston18

Titan
In full agreement with @Phillip Corcoran. I am also a fan of manual Copy/Paste.

However, I am tinkering with some "automation" via Powershell Scripts.

Saves me time and the occasional :) "command line " typo's that can wreak havoc if I make a mistake.

Adds flexibility in that I can easily edit (add, delete, modify) my scripts if and as necessary.

DOS commands can also be used via a batch file.

However, Powershell is an excellent tool and can do many things. Well worth learning especially if in IT....

As already mentioned, those programs mentioned are not suitable for single file backup.

If you're using windows only, then there is a couple of programs you may consider the simple program Treecomp. Gives full manual control when syncing between two directories. list of alternatives.

If you happens to use Linux, then the rsync is built in. That is the tool of my choice.

Feb 28, 2020
@bat0nas Hello. For file/folders backups I use google drive and sync utility https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/drive/download/backup-and-sync/ . When it's syncing lot of files/folders like in my case, it makes work hard cpu but once is finished, you won't ever notice that is running.

For a system image I use AOMEI Backupper Standard which is amazing, free and if you need to restore system it restarts before system boot and start restoring.

I hope it helps!!