Activate Windows System

Bartlomiej

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
So, recently I had my PC moved by courier (dumb thing to do I know) and it basically destroyed my Motherboard and my GPU. After a month I finally got them replaced and PC is working generally fine but a new problem arose. Now every couple of hours I get a notification that I need to "Activate my Windows System". It is kind of annoying and I worry it'll get to a point where I won't be able to use my PC even though I just spent around 300 Pounds Sterling on fixing it. I got my Windows 8.1 OEM disc and a key, and looking for a solution, I came across a post on Yahoo! that said that Windows OEM ties to the motherboard. I also cannot upgrade to Win 10 because if I try to use the downloader it asks me to type my key in and then it says it's incorrect. Does this mean that the only solution to my problem is buying a new OS ? And if so how can I do it so that it's Win 10, because the ultimate goal is to upgrade to it.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Could try calling microsoft and asking them to do it over the phone, maybe have some receipts at the ready proving you bought a new motherboard recently. From what I remember, while Windows 7 is tied to the board, Windows 8 should not be. Assuming it is indeed your legal copy of windows then I think a quick phone call should do the trick

TRENDING THREADS