[SOLVED] Activating Ethernet ports in my rooms

Solution
First, I think you've gotten lucky enough that the wiring was done correctly. Most of the time this is the first problem.

That grey wire looks like it is coming from a dsl modem to an ethernet jack in your box that on the other side is connected to your router.

To get wired connections to all the other rooms, you need to move your router to this box and connect the gray wire to the router directly and then connect from the router to whichever ports you want to have Internet. If you run out of ports on your router, you will also need a switch.

But as bill001g pointed out, wifi won't be good with your router in the box if that's where the wifi is. This is why it's useful for routers and wifi access points to be separate...
What do you have in the living room. Where is the router. Is the device the grey cable is going to a router or a modem.

In the end what you need is

ISP---modem--router--switch---connections to all the ethernet ports.

All this equipment would go in that room/cabinet This tends to not be the best place for a router for wifi but you must have a router to share the IP from the modem and the router must connect to switch. You can place another router running as a AP in other rooms connected back to the main router via the in wall ethernet cables if you need.

First, I think you've gotten lucky enough that the wiring was done correctly. Most of the time this is the first problem.

That grey wire looks like it is coming from a dsl modem to an ethernet jack in your box that on the other side is connected to your router.

To get wired connections to all the other rooms, you need to move your router to this box and connect the gray wire to the router directly and then connect from the router to whichever ports you want to have Internet. If you run out of ports on your router, you will also need a switch.

But as bill001g pointed out, wifi won't be good with your router in the box if that's where the wifi is. This is why it's useful for routers and wifi access points to be separate devices--because once you have Internet in the house all the jacks, you can put access points wherever you want them. :)

Solution
Jun 8, 2021
What do you have in the living room. Where is the router. Is the device the grey cable is going to a router or a modem.

In the end what you need is

ISP---modem--router--switch---connections to all the ethernet ports.

All this equipment would go in that room/cabinet This tends to not be the best place for a router for wifi but you must have a router to share the IP from the modem and the router must connect to switch. You can place another router running as a AP in other rooms connected back to the main router via the in wall ethernet cables if you need.

My router is in my living room because of it being close to he TV and other devices. The grey cable is connected to the modem and the router in the living room is connected via wall Ethernet.
Are you suggesting that i need to connect the grey cable to a router in the basement and then to a switch and use Ethernet cables from the switch to all the Ethernet ports that the grey cable is currently connected too? Does this provide the best and fastest connection?

Also, can i use multiple routers at once?

Unless you happen to have multiple ethernet jacks in the living room you are going to have to put a router in the basement.

Since wifi will work poorly from the basement you do not need to buy a real fancy router. They make routers without wifi but you can get a inexpensive one with wifi also. The key feature you likely will want is gigabit wan and lan ports.....it depends on how fast your internet connection is.

You technically can have multiple routers but is it better to use the other routers as a AP. You are only using the wifi radio part of the box and not the router part. You are only doing this because real AP tend to have features you do not need and they cost more than most consumer routers just because they can charge more. Most routers actually have a AP feature but any router can be used as a AP.

1. Router needs to go in basement as said.
  2. Buy a network switch and a bunch of short ethernet cables and connect all those empty ports to that switch.
  3. Buy a wifi access point to put upstairs. If it's a big house, you may want to buy a wifi system and put several access points upstairs. Do you have any wifi dead spots in the house?

For connection:
  1. Remove grey ethernet cable.
  2. Connect DSL modem-->Router WAN port
  3. Connect Router LAN port--> New network Switch(only need to connect 1 port)
  4. Network switch--> ALL ports of the patch panel(box where all the blue wires go).

1. Router needs to go in basement as said.
  2. Buy a network switch and a bunch of short ethernet cables and connect all those empty ports to that switch.
  3. Buy a wifi access point to put upstairs. If it's a big house, you may want to buy a wifi system and put several access points upstairs. Do you have any wifi dead spots in the house?
For connection:
  1. Remove grey ethernet cable.
  2. Connect DSL modem-->Router WAN port
  3. Connect Router LAN port--> New network Switch(only need to connect 1 port)
  4. Network switch--> ALL ports of the patch panel(box where all the blue wires go).
And your router will have more than one port to connect to the switch. If this number of ports is enough for how many ports in the house you want active, you don't need the switch--the switch is just there to have enough ports to connect to your panel.