Activating Intel HD Graphics 3000 on laptop without GPU

ReconHavoc

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Hi everyone, looking for advice on an issue I have.

My computer is an MSI Gt683r which suddenly died on me after a couple of years use. I was able to locate the shortcircuit to a fried GPU (GTX 560m). The CPU which still works is an Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor. It says on Intels webpage that it supports Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Unfortunately, spare parts for laptops are expensive so I was wondering if I could maybe activate the integrated graphics on the Intel CPU so that I can still use the laptop for word documents and browsing.

So, is this possible? To activate the Intel HD Graphics even though there isn't a GPU connected? When I turn on the laptop without the GPU, the fan turns on and it starts reading the hard drive. The screen is still black though. I have tried to disconnect the BIOS-battery by unplugging the small cord and waited. Still a black screen. I'm thinking there has to be away to access bios settings to activate the integrated graphics.

If anyone knows if this is possible at all or can help me with activating it I would appreciate that help!

ReconHavoc

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Well, usually the MSI boot screen appears with ESC, F2 and F12 keys as options. Problem now is that the screen stays black. I assume this is because there isn't a GPU connected to the motherboard. Maybe it's impossible to activate the Intel graphics without a GPU I wonder.

ReconHavoc

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

I can't understand why either. I know you can run both laptops and desktops with the integrated graphics only. RMA is not possible since the laptop was bought 4,5 years ago. Maybe this particular motherboard needs a GPU to function properly with displaying graphics on the screen.

ReconHavoc

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Yes, maybe. Although when I connect the laptop to another screen with hdmi I don't get any picture either. Could be that the cpu is also damaged.