Question Activating LAN ports in New Home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 2, 2024
I just thought that each port in the house would have a matching port in the basement, and the port in the basement would connect to the ONT

Otherwise what are all those ports in the basement for?

I just thought that each port in the house would have a matching port in the basement, and the port in the basement would connect to the ONT

Otherwise what are all those ports in the basement for?
Usually I'd expect there to be a patch panel when there are that many ports involved. However I'd assume the same as you have with all of the ports being clustered in the basement like that. If there are other utility panels/rooms you might check them just to see if there might be a patch panel.

You might try a device similar to this one. This is 2 different types of testers in one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TMDFG3W

What you do to pick one of your remote rooms and plug the tester in. Then go back to the main area with all the jacks and put the sensor part near each until you hear a tone. You should then be able to label which wire goes where.

If for some reason the jacks to not actually function this tool will also test that the wiring goes to the correct pins. Like all these cheap testers it can not you if they followed the correct color pattern.

May 2, 2024
Hi again,

Here's the drawing I made of the current setup, which provides WiFi around the house

However, I really want to make one of the 3x data points next to the TV live to either move the router there or hardware the TV

Current Setup

Many thanks to those who have tried to assist !

Generally the router must go next to the ONT.

You might have gotten lucky though since your dining room has 2 jacks which not a common thing that is done.

What you can likely do is run a cable from a LAN port on the router to the other jack in the dining room. It should in theory connect to one of the other jacks.
There are couple possibilities depending on why there are 2 jacks.

1. It goes to the basement.
You could place a small switch there and connect it to the other jacks some of them must go to the jacks in the living room.

2. It does something strange and goes directly to the living room. You could place a small switch there to connect all your devices to.

You got lucky most people only have a single ethernet cable in a remote room. A router need 2 one WAN going to the modem and a second connected to the LAN. In most cases you have to place the router near the modem which gives poor wifi coverage.

It is still connected the same ONT----router---switch----house ethernet. In your case you just have very long cable on the 2 router connections.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Put RBK353 into AP mode
https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point
Since the article did not mention that you have to use LAN port to uplink to your modem gateway, I assume the blue internet port can also be used as LAN port?

You really need to find out which port in other rooms goes to which port in the basement first. In theory the cables should be all wired to the basement ports where your ONT is located. Buy several short ethernet cables for testing.

The installer provably is just a phone company worker and has no idea about networking and could have wired it wrong. You can use the tools mentioned by @bill001g, laptop with ethernet port or you probably have to hire someone to help.

Maybe you get lucky and they used ethernet wire to do the telephone port and you can just change out both ends to ethenet.

I would consider buying another router and use it as a AP. You would then place your current router near the ONT and place put the new router running as a AP in the dining room to provide the wifi.

Now if you really want to learn some stuff you can buy a couple small "smart" switches that support vlans. You would put one in the room by the ONT and a second in the dining room.

These are still pretty cheap, tplink 8 port ones are about $25. What you can then do is carry 2 different vlans over the same cable. In effect you make 1 cable into many. Not hard but it takes a while before the concept of virtual things becomes clear.

The downside is you will cap your internet bandwidth to 500mbps because there still is only 1 actual gigabit cable and you are sending the data over it twice.

Thanks - on closer inspection, the 2nd port is for a telephone connection :-(

What else can I try ?
Realistically I think you need to figure out the wiring situation because the plugs near the ONT should be wired to something. Either get testing equipment or use the router itself to test the links and if you do that just plug in the router to an ethernet port you haven't identified and use the cable out of the ONT which works to determine which port connects where and then label them. Solving the physical cabling situation absolutely needs to come first before doing anything else.