"Activating VPN adapter failed" - Nortel VPN client Windows 7

avinashgona

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello,
I am facing problems with the Nortel VPN client 10.04.016. It says "Activating VPN adapter failed".

Help me in this regard. Thanks in advance.

roachhater_win7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

even though this question is probably too old to remain as an issue, I am pretty sure some people facing the same issue end up here.

I had the same problem with my Nortel VPN client. Upgrading to 10.04.109 did not solve the issue.
Checking the services (right click on my computer-manage-services and applications-services) I have realized that the service for "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying" was not started and could not be started, because the service "Base Filtering Engine" was missing completely.

I have therefore exported both the BFE Keys and the IKEEXT from the registry of another computer, and imported them to the registry on mine.

Finally I had to add a new user under permissions for the BFE key in the registry. The user name is NT/BFE and it should have full access rights.

This has solved my issue and my VPN is fully functional again!!

Hope this helps

dmaster_29

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

I was not able to start my services and I couldn't add permissions for the BFE key. Can you please provide more guidance on adding permission/user? I would appreciate it.