activating windows 10

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hey guys I have a question I tried windows 10 for a while like last year and I used Microsoft toolkit to activate it and then wiped out everything and decided to buy a product key i put the key in and activated it. However when i got a new motherboard I installed it without wiping my hard drive and when I got to my desktop I checked if it was activated and it was. So my question is is the activator carried over or is it just my key code I'm just worried I'll get in trouble with Microsoft. I look forward to hearing from you thanks.

Solution
I believe he's saying he got W10 working illegally, but then he BOUGHT a key.

"then wiped out everything and decided to buy a product key i put the key in and activated it."

Assuming so, your W10 key or "Digital Entitlement" is stored on a Microsoft server. You can wipe out W10 and reinstall it after which it should automatically activate itself.

Normally a new PC needs a new key so it's not clear if you had:
1) a new motherboard SOCKET type (classified as a new PC), or

2) a new motherboard of the SAME SOCKET as before (classified as a "repair build" which does not need a new key)

You should really do a clean install of W10 if it's a new socket TYPE regardless since you may get weird glitches by simply plunking a hard drive from an...
I believe he's saying he got W10 working illegally, but then he BOUGHT a key.

"then wiped out everything and decided to buy a product key i put the key in and activated it."

Assuming so, your W10 key or "Digital Entitlement" is stored on a Microsoft server. You can wipe out W10 and reinstall it after which it should automatically activate itself.

Normally a new PC needs a new key so it's not clear if you had:
1) a new motherboard SOCKET type (classified as a new PC), or

2) a new motherboard of the SAME SOCKET as before (classified as a "repair build" which does not need a new key)

You should really do a clean install of W10 if it's a new socket TYPE regardless since you may get weird glitches by simply plunking a hard drive from an old PC into a new PC.

With a clean install you take your chances if the activation will work or not. Technically it's not supposed to (again, for a new SOCKET) but I've heard many people say their activations work, or even if they failed they sometimes phoned Microsoft Support and they got it activated (done that myself by installing W10 to a laptop... no activation as I didn't buy a copy, then they activated it for me. not sure why.)

Solution