[SOLVED] Activating windows xp over phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
So a few days ago my uncle gave me his old laptop (asus l3800s).
I reinstalled windows xp home edition RTM on it (service pack 2 and 3 seem to not accept the key under it).
It obviously didn't activate because the servers are down but when I try to activate over phone and select my country (Romania) there isn't any toll-free number, just a toll number. How much is the toll?
I found this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers online and there seems to be a toll free number. Will it work?

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, the amount of resources you might have to drop in for the phone call plus your own time and effort will be moot considering that the laptop is now just a novelty item, because of it's specs. I'd ask you to forgo the phone call and leave it as is.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I will try later
Also when installing windows xp i had to use the rtm version because service pack 2 and 3 disks that i had just gave me an error saying the product key is invalid. Any idea? (used the product key thats on the back of my laptop). It would make the reinstall of updates much easier (i have to reinstall because audio isnt working properly even with drivers)

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
The key listed on the back of the laptop is for the OEM version (Home, Pro) that shipped with the laptop and will not work with a retail version as you have.
well i made an iso of that cd, slipstreamed sp3 on it and it doesn't accept my key so its a service pack thing
Yes, there is zero support for Windows XP as MS dropped it a long long long time ago. So you have zero support. Also your hardware is new XP is almost 20 years old so that can be a factor.
then why would the phone numbers still be available ?

Any ways I installed windows xp pro sp2 -> right now upgrading to sp3 and using my licence for pro edition it seems to work.
Now I need an audio driver for my Intel(r) 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (as shown in the device manager). The first link that showed up is this https://www.driverscape.com/download/intel(r)-82801ca-cam-ac-97-audio-controller
has anyone used this website before?

well i made an iso of that cd, slipstreamed sp3 on it and it doesn't accept my key so its a service pack thing

then why would the phone numbers still be available ?

Any ways I installed windows xp pro sp2 -> right now upgrading to sp3 and using my licence for pro edition it seems to work.
Now I need an audio driver for my Intel(r) 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (as shown in the device manager). The first link that showed up is this https://www.driverscape.com/download/intel(r)-82801ca-cam-ac-97-audio-controller
has anyone used this website before?

Those numbers you linked are for volume licensing, and don't say anything on the web site that it's for XP.

The sound drivers you would get from the laptop vendor support site, or get it directly from Intel if it's available on their site.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
The sound drivers you would get from the laptop vendor support site, or get it directly from Intel if it's available on their site.
i got them from the asus's website but my sound is still barely hearable even with my external speaker at maximum "power"
in the installation note or whatever its called it said to delete some files from the windows folder. the problem is i read it after installing the driver..

Status
Not open for further replies.