[SOLVED] Activation for windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2022
So I had been using a genuine copy of windows 10 on my PC without entering a product key(unactivated one ofc). I have recently updated my system to Windows 11, and it shows that the OS is activated. I tried the run commads and found out that it has been activated with a KMS license which will expire after 45 days. My question is how did windows get activated in the first place without my permission; is it like a trial period or something? Will I be able to run my PC after the expiration of the license or is it absolutely mandatory to get a retail key?

Solution
if you don't know, I would do a clean install with an Installer you made, You don't know what else that kms came with.

Download media creation tool (2nd link) or ISO(3rd link) = https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
use it to make an installer on USB

Install win 11

you don't need to be activated to run win 11, it just shows a watermark on desktop reminding you all the time, and some settings won't work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you don't know, I would do a clean install with an Installer you made, You don't know what else that kms came with.

Download media creation tool (2nd link) or ISO(3rd link) = https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Install win 11

you don't need to be activated to run win 11, it just shows a watermark on desktop reminding you all the time, and some settings won't work.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
From Microsoft themselves:

"Key Management Service (KMS) is an activation service that allows organizations to activate systems within their own network, eliminating the need for individual computers to connect to Microsoft for product activation. "

I echo what @Colif mentions in regard to the "where" this installer came from.

Jan 8, 2022

Install win 11

I downloaded windows 10 from the same website using a USB drive, back when windows 11 wasn't launched. I just upgraded it to windows 11 today, and was surprised to see that it was activated

Jan 8, 2022
From Microsoft themselves:

"Key Management Service (KMS) is an activation service that allows organizations to activate systems within their own network, eliminating the need for individual computers to connect to Microsoft for product activation. "

I echo what @Colif mentions in regard to the "where" this installer came from.
So is there any way I can get rid of this KMS licence?? Or should I wait 45 days for it to expire

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be fair, all of my W11 installs have been on machines with (already) licensed W10, and all but one of those was using the Update Assistant which went very well with my Intel based and compatible machines. My AMD, not so much. I have not installed or even attempted to install the preview/test version.

Jan 8, 2022
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...ws-11-work-if-i-upgrade-from-an-unactiva.html
so far agrees with what I said...

what version of 11?
Home? Pro? Other?

I am trying to figure out how you got it, if all you did was run the update.
where did you get update from?
I got the update from windows itself in the settings window and I'm using the Home version. I'm doubtful whether the KMS came from the installer I used for my MS word 2021, since it needed a crack to activate it.
I tried wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in the command prompt, and it didn't show a product key, when I tried with a 3rd party app it showed the key and-:
Edition: Windows 10 RTM volume:GVLK
EULA: Volume
Do you know any way of removing the licence from the os??

Jan 8, 2022
To be fair, all of my W11 installs have been on machines with (already) licensed W10, and all but one of those was using the Update Assistant which went very well with my Intel based and compatible machines. My AMD, not so much. I have not installed or even attempted to install the preview/test version.
I guess I'll just wait and see what happens after 45 days, whether it'll get deactivated back to normal

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would clean install since that crack seems to have done more than you expected. We can't really help with cracked software outside saying to get rid of it. MY guess is whatever its linked to is now not elligible for a licence, MS might have found it and cancelled it.

Jan 8, 2022
i would clean install since that crack seems to have done more than you expected. We can't really help with cracked software outside saying to get rid of it. MY guess is whatever its linked to is now not elligible for a licence, MS might have found it and cancelled it.
Isn't there a way just to remove the product key? There is an option of changing in the setting but not removing

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
But that was before I updated to windows 11...

Yes, but as stated above, where it comes to cracked software and the ins and outs of said, we can no longer assist. There is really no telling what that crack was and what it could be causing at this point. There are plenty of really good freeware versions of the office suite that are compatible. I suggest following the advice above concerning a complete clean install without the pirated software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Small chance that if you do reinstall win 11 again, the activation servers might pick up the license and reapply it.

there is no way to remove a key. not one that isn't linked to an account anyway.

its up to you if you reinstall, we can't make you.

USAFRet

Titan
So is there any way I can get rid of this KMS licence?? Or should I wait 45 days for it to expire
A valid Win 10 or 11 license does not 'expire'.

I'm doubtful whether the KMS came from the installer I used for my MS word 2021, since it needed a crack to activate it.
And we're done here.

We cannot and will not assist with pirated software. Period.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.