Activation license issue

myopinion1955

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Yesterday I bought a Lenovo Yoga 920 from Best Buy. It was an open box unit. I did the new computer set-up with the walk thru software. It had WIndows 10 Home version 1703 installed. I tried a direct update to Windows version 1803, but it defaulted to doing an update to Windows 10 version 1709 with a series of patches. When it did so, the activation license became "invalid" and I found that it was now accessing a digital license connected to my Microsoft account. I then successfully did an update to version 1803. It still references the digital license. Is that a problem? Why did it invalidate my Windows 10 license on a new computer? Should I bring it back to the store?

barefin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
No it means you linked a MS account online. It's actually a good thing; however, I do not believe that the benefits will help you out.

Basically whenever you make big hardware changes Windows recognizes it and becomes invalid. This is to track what Product Keys are on what hardware, I believe as you have to go and re-activate.

A digital license helps bypass the need to reactivate or call the activation phone line, because the key is linked to your MS account. The reason I don't think it benefits you one way or the other is because pre-built systems' keys are usually locked to specific hardware... meaning you can add RAM and basic upgrades but big upgrades, CPU, motherboard, etc. and you'll have to buy a new whole new license.