Activation was free?

Jul 7, 2018
My old HDD died on me so iv bought a new one, anyway installed the new HDD into my PC, installed windows 10 by disk. When it came to activate on set up, i clicked activate later. When it was my new HDD was all set up and everything was installed, i went to go activate, some how it was already activated. How was this possible i never entered no key, previous installs on my old HDD, i had to type the product key in everytime?

Solution

The "digital license" is held at the activation server farm at Microsoft. It is a hash of your hardware (primarily the motherboard) and your OS license details.
Reinstalling on a new drive is of no consequence.

After the install, the system contacted the activation farm..."Oh look, it's David's PC again. Activate it."

USAFRet

Titan

You're fine.
A reinstall on the same system generally does not require entering the license key.

Jul 7, 2018

I dont understand how it picked my old activation key up if im using a completely new HDD.

bignastyid

Titan

The hardware id is tied to the motherboard not the HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

The "digital license" is held at the activation server farm at Microsoft. It is a hash of your hardware (primarily the motherboard) and your OS license details.
Reinstalling on a new drive is of no consequence.

After the install, the system contacted the activation farm..."Oh look, it's David's PC again. Activate it."

Solution
Jul 7, 2018

Thanks for explaining :)