active directory install failed

G

Well whats new, another day another post. So Here it is folks. I'm trying to setup a home network that is win2k server based. (what was I thinking???). Now as most of you know this type of network has to have a DNS on order to use Active Directory. The computer I am using is going to be the primary domain controller and the DNS server. I use the wizard to setup the AD follow all the steps just like I was setting up the PDC as follows: (domain controller for new domain,create a new domain tree,create a new forrest for domain trees, i enter the full name of the new domain,i enter the Netbios name, it then specifies the database and log locations,shared system volume, (all sets were default I didn't change anything). Now the message that appears is: the wizard cannont contact the DNS server tha handles the name "*******" to determine if it supports dynamic udpate.) I continue to the configure DNS screen. I select configure and install DNS on this computer. I select permissions compatible only with WIN2k servers, enter the admin pass word and then it gives me a summary of what i chose to do. I hit next and low and behold. THE OPERATION FAILED WITH THE FOLLOWING ERROR: THE NETWORK LOCATION CANNOT BE REACHED. What madness is this? If the DNS is on the same server as the active directory then why is it looking for a network location for unattended install? Keep in mind that this is a local network so there is no need to check for an internet registry. I am in way over my head here. I have read the troubleshoot files, went back and install DNS manually and the same thing happens when i get to the AD setup. what am i doing wrong? And for those how don't know. yes I am a newbie but I like to learn on my own and usually never post unless I have tried all that I can think of. (which obviously isn't much). The ip addy and subnet were set by default by the DNS config wizard to 10.10.1.1/255.0.0.0. And the scope in the dchp is set by default to 10.0.0.0. AAAARRGGGGGGG I'm about to lose it in here. I think that's all the info you need, if not just let me now and I will find out for you. thnx to anyone that can help.

G

EUREKA!!!!! BOYS AND GIRLS I HAVE DONE IT. NOT BAD FOR A NEWBIE AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET ANY HELP. I'M JUST A LITTLE OLE A+ FELLA WITH A DESIRE TO LEARN, (I ALSO STUDY NETWORK+ BUT IM NOT EVEN IN THE FIELD BECAUSE NOONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE.) IMAGINE THAT, LITTLE OLE ME GETTING IT DONE ON MY OWN. ALTHOUGHT I COULD LEARN BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS WITH THE RIGHT TEACHER. BUT I WILL NOT LIVE ON THIS VERY SMALL FEAT FOR LONG, I HAVE A NETWORK TO ADMINISTER. I HAVE MORE LEARNING TO DO.