Activision Targeting Individual Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Wow some pretty good comments here & also a few bad ones. I am totally impressed that the whole topic posting have stayed on coarse as this is not the norm in most comment sections.I also no flaming going on wow nice.

I do agree 100% that 30k to 150K seems a little steep for copying a game or 2 but we do not know the whole story behind this. This guy could have a whole setup in his basement allowing him to mass reproduce copied games & then sell them on ebay or where ever they do that type of thing.

I myself buy my games on DVD's that's just the way I like to have them. I do rip them to a external drive where I install them from & then yes I crack them so I do not need to DVD to run them. So maybe some would say you sir are breaking the law well I do not see it that way as I did fork out the $50 or $60 to do just that. I then put the Store bought DVD away & it is also gonna be like new.

Some would say hey just use steam I have used it & I do not think it is all that good. Where I live I only have 2Mbit connection so downloading a 5GB game just seems point less & then there's the ISP caps that are in place that I have. SO for me it a far easier to go to my local computer where I work I pick up what I want for games or software & no hassle of dealing with Steam AD's or having steam pop up when I am in the middle of a game & it tells me hey we have a good deal for you go buy it now I find that annoying & pointless.

I was gonna bring up the ISP usage caps but I think I already did in my last point.lol

Anyways back on track this guys story is not fully known all we know is he copied some games they were console games & he got caught & now has to pay the piper for it. I do think we will hear these peoples full stories at some point as there really are no secrets that stay hidden on the internet for very long.

If I got off track sorry for that

rocky1234

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]bf2gameplaya[/nom]Copyright infringement is complex and civil, not criminal.[/citation]
That's false. You obviously don't pay attention when those FBI WARNING screens show up on a DVD. It -is- a criminal offense.
Ever since 1997, it's been a criminal offense even if it isn't done for any kind of profit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NET_Act
This applies in the US, of course. The UK used to have even worse rules disallowing the ripping/transcoding of CDs using a computer. I'm not sure if that's changed: last time I checked there was a proposal for a "right to copy" to be added.

I wonder if Activision is going about this the same way the RIAA did, say by using illegal versions of P2P software, questionable suit filing practices, impractical time limits, and strong-arm, burden-of-proof-on-the-defendant tactics without Activision having to prove definitively how they pinpointed the specific end user.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
All I see is a cornucopia of whining.

I hate DRM:
I hate piracy:
PC games are dying because of piracy:
No, the gaming companies are using piracy as a scapegoat:
Gimme gimme gimme:

You can't have it all! No piracy and no protection!

Theydrick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Chevelle454[/nom]This is a joke.A game is 50 bucks. How can you sue for 30000-150000.[/citation]
They're not suing for the cost of the disc - they're suing for the cost of the time spent in developement and manpower that went in to creating the game. It's about intellectual rights to property, not the property itself.

I believe that everyone has the right to be paid for their service and be free from others profiting off their work, but this is an ideal, not reality. People will always find a way to benefit from the work of others. Piracy isn't going away no matter how fervantly the big industries attack it.

This is why we need more people like Richard Stallman. ALL HAIL THE GNU WORLD ORDER!! Open source games for all!!

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I Buy all my PC games, all the ones that i think are worth a coin, literally if it looks interesting i will buy it. And i do not make copies of the game unless its for my own individual use for backup purposes and for my very own LAN party's. Going out and trying to gain money like this is pathetic and weak. Crytek knows why the game was pirated(not that its there fault, pushing hardware limits i am all for it) but they should go find a real man to run that company sounds like a 2 yr old baby crying all the time. Threatening real users that they might have to go to consoles because of piracy, yes i am still struck by the fact he had said that. Epic games could of done better with UT3, Infinity ward has done a superb job on COD4 so i leave them be but they didn't wine about it really. ID is outside of the tunnel for me since i have yet to try anything past Quak4 and Doom 3. The Steam software is great having a collection of games all at your finger tips once booted up. Though i will say that does yield some issues with some games not running some times. Or not working at all. I cannot run CZ on XP64, pisses me off. WTF Valve! Anyways thats all i have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.