News Activist Hedge Fund Calls for Intel to Spin Off Fabs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
"Swan says that Intel will decide if it will turn to outside foundries as a stop-gap..."

I don't recall Swan using the term "stop-gap", or implying that any external foundry relationships will be short term. He has said that 20% of their fab is done at external foundries, and they will continue to use external foundries. The Xe-HPG GPU is being fabricated externally, for example.

It appears to me that decisions are made at the start of new projects ... planning to build externally or internally or both, and Swan has said that also has to take into account the risks of relying on yields of an unproven new process.

"Swan says that Intel will decide if it will turn to outside foundries as a stop-gap..."

I don't recall Swan using the term "stop-gap", or implying that any external foundry relationships will be short term. He has said that 20% of their fab is done at external foundries, and they will continue to use external foundries. The Xe-HPG GPU is being fabricated externally, for example.

It appears to me that decisions are made at the start of new projects ... planning to build externally or internally or both, and Swan has said that also has to take into account the risks of relying on yields of an unproven new process.
Just like apple and just like anybody else intel would prefer to be able to produce everything on their own so they don't have to give anybody any money.
So even if it is long term out of necessity it's still a stop-gap, or at least you could consider it one.