Question Actual RAID Card Capacity?

doinstuff

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
I have been using RAID in some of my computers for a while now, In have 3 x Intel RMS25PB080's (LSI2208), 2 x SUN SGX-SAS6-R-INT-Z (pn 375-3701) cross-flashed to LSI 9261-8i in IR, etc. The 9261 states it can handle/addresses/supports 128 Drives, I am wondering if this has ever been tested? Can one RAID card reeally handle 128 PHYSICAL drives? Or Just Logical with help from additional controllers? Some cards list 240 drives.

Traditionally the hardware was so expensive this would be difficult to test. Brolwsing eBay I fouyns SAS 146GB drives, used, for $5.99. n Maybe a large company like Sun, Dell, HPZ, etc could provide old drives cxheaper? Eve at $6 a drive x 128 adds uyop, that's $766.72, a little out of my budget, not to mention beyond my physical limitations. I would love to know if RAID card vendors were accurate or just blowing smoke!

It seems RAID cards like these tend to run hot. My HP DL320eG8v2 has an HP P222 controller, constantly runs at 85 degrees Celsius with only 4 drives attached. 6 drives on the Sun runs quite hotr too. Inbtel keeps making chipos faster, cooler, and better, but the RAID cards havent changed mutch inb 10 years until SSD's took over. I find it difficult to believe that onecard can really address that many drives without burning up! RAID Card Vendors justy dont invest in develope new better processors, good is good enough for them. We should put them to the test!

DoinStuff

doinstuff

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Those sorts of lofty claims are made with stringing cables from one shelf to another, and in JBOD mode....

It's not as if data is being striped across/among the multiple shelves in those instances...
Those sorts of lofty claims are made with stringing cables from one shelf to another, and in JBOD mode....

It's not as if data is being striped across/among the multiple shelves in those instances...

Tnank you for the reply. The LSI9261-8i i an Integrated RAID solution, it does not support JBOD mode. Many LSI and Intel conbtrollers I';ve used do not support JBOD mode. So the tests really should be drives in stripes, right? They can't claim numbers for something the card doesn't support, or can they? That's why I want to see a real-world test now that it's cost-effective and much more possible.

DoinStuff