Question Ad-Blocker disruptions

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I keep stumbling across web sites that won't function if an ad blocker is installed. Any of the HGTV sites puke out when trying to enter their sweepstakes (the Boss' favorite past-time). I've now discovered that AOL's news marquee also will not work if an ad blocker is installed. I wonder when those blockers will figure a way to thwart the efforts of web sites to obstruct, break and otherwise render worthless their ad blockers.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have used ad blockers for years, but I also realize this is a two-way street.

It is absolutely within the rights of a given website to block users from entering for whatever reasons they wish, including seeing an ad blocker active. You, I, or any random visitor do not own the website nor have we paid to develop it, host, it, etc.

It is also mine to cease ever visiting those sites again, which is precisely what I do.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with @britechguy.

If a website truly has nothing to offer but throw ads in my face, endless chaining of links to get to some "topic" (which often turns out to be useless, irrelevant, etc.), or wants me to open some account - I'm gone.

So many sites are going off-topic just to get visits and clicks. And I am really not interested in National Enquirer type gossip and photos which are at plague levels. Many are just fill in the blank: e.g.,"_ _Name here _ is now gorgeous. "

Could go on and on but this is not my thread and further comment belongs over in "Opinions".