[Adam] The Pentium G3258 Cheap Overclocking Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Are you seriously running the Athlon on DDR3-1600 RAM? Please confirm as it's too difficult to be sure with all of the ridiculous adware you have baked into this article.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
@ Nuckles_56: the modules we used came from one standardized kit. Because the H81 and A78 platforms only offer two slots, we pulled two modules from the kit. The other boards gave us four slots, so we used four modules from the same kit. On an X79- based board, you'd see all eight in play.

Traciatim

Distinguished
@TomFreak, Tom's have already done an old vs new article that tested the core2duo and Quad vs newer i3's an i5's. No reason to redo the tests since you can pretty much extrapolate about where your performance would sit if you look over both articles. Bottom line is it's probably not worth going from a Core2Quad that overclocks pretty reliably to an i3 or Pentium, but in most cases the i3 and newest unclocked Pentium would perform slightly better and use less power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487-9.html

"The Pentium, also topped with a bundled cooler and factory grease, ran exceedingly warm, too."

While I can understand that using a high GPU and SSD and tons of RAM makes it so we're only seeing the CPU's impact, I feel that such a high system with a low end chip doesn't make sense, or that it somehow doesnt show the real results

bhauck

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
While I can understand that using a high GPU and SSD and tons of RAM makes it so we're only seeing the CPU's impact, I feel that such a high system with a low end chip doesn't make sense, or that it somehow doesnt show the real results

Well have I got the article for you then!

bhauck

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014

because it OCs just the same as a 750k?

Does it? There's no review when it launched, I can't find any 2014 CPU charts, and it's never even mentioned in any articles. Can you point me where I should be looking?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
It doesn't look good for the 750K. In the UK, pricing the same CPU and motherboard combinations on www.dabs.com yields a sizeable price advantage for the G3258:

AMD Athlon II X4 750K Black Edition 3.4GHz FM2 4MB 100W £54.09
MSI A78M-E35 AMD FM2+ A78 DDR3 mATX £39.99
Total £94.08

Intel Pentium Dual Core G3258 3.20GHz 3MB S1150 Pentium K Anniversary £47.98
MSI H81M-P33 S1150 Intel H81 DDR3 mATX £29.41
Total £77.39

In fact, these prices are significantly lower than the Amazon ones in this article...

AMD only has productivity as an advantage (and, I guess, the fact it's not lacking any features found in higher models), and the 760K won't change the performance for price result. They really needed a 770K Steamroller-class CPU; I would find it hard to believe that yields are so good that no throwaways exist. With the 750K and 760K being failed parts, AMD would get no money for them otherwise, so I think they can drop prices to beat Intel here.

One saving grace is the generally more consistent frame latency.

Thank you for investigating this. It's always nice to benchmark components and remove every limitation, but I like to see real-world scenario applications even more. The H81 boards are too stripped down for what I typically like in a system, but pairing this with a nice $80 H87/97 board still keeps the budget happy. Now we just need to compile a list of all non-Z boards and their proper BIOS revs that support OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS