[SOLVED] Adapt 5.25" bay into 3.5" and cover front panel hole

sati-edimax

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
I have an option to buy for like 20$ a prebuilt HP 280 G1 PC and convert it into a backup/storage PC for me and my family.

The PC case has 2 3.5" bays and 1 5.25" bay with a DVD drive in it (don't need the DVD drive for my setup). What do I need to convert the 5.25" bay into an additional 3.5" drive bay and to have the front panel covered?

I've did some photos how this looks: View: https://imgur.com/a/E8qVCZl

The dimensions are: DVD 14,8cm4,1cm17,0cm. The screws are 8 cm apart. +/- 1 mm on everything.

I'm totally green in this area :(

I did for the test put the disk directly there on the plate visible on 3rd photo, but it's not really a stable construction imo and I would prefer to have it secured better with some screws or something. (the short SATA power cable also doesn't help)

Thanks and have a nice day

I'm totally green in this area :(
Just get a normal pc case with more drive spots.
Storage pc with just 2 drives is not serious.
What will you do, when in couple of years you'll want to add another 3rd or 4th drive ?

This is how storage oriented pc case would look like.
case.png

sati-edimax

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
@USAFRet and @Fix_that_Glitch - thanks, this is what I was looking for, the best that I was getting were sledges which left the front open and would hold the drive only on one side. Now only to find something similar in shops in my region :D

Just get a normal pc case with more drive spots.

Yes I know that :)

But I'm doing what I can at the moment with limited budget that I have - I did a calculation of a full prebuilt Storage-PC and just the case for it was like 200$ where I live (I'm doing a conversion to $), where the whole HP costs me like 20$ (with everything: psu, cpu, mobo, not just the bare case). When I will actually need more space I will probably search for a better case, but why not buy a 5$ adapter suggested above and be "ready" for a 3rd drive (my plan is to get 2 drives at start and then add more when needed, maybe I won't need more than 2 drives for next 5 years? :p) vs searching when I actually need it vs getting a 8 drive case like in your image and having 3/4 of it empty...

I might get a new PC for myself faster than getting a 3rd or 4th drive and then I will most likely use the case from my current PC for the storage PC (as it has 6 3.5" bays and also 2 5.25" bays with frontal covers in the box).