Adapteva Announces 700 MHz, 4096-Core Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Why are they worried about energy efficiency?I know that its good to, but this seems to be an "all out" processor, so that should be secondary.[/citation]
Supercomputers have absolutely unbelievable energy costs. Reducing energy consumption is one of the top priorities for people designing them.

Power is easy, efficiency is hard.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Those are the servers of the future.
I remember Intel wanting to create a 128 core cpu, running at 1,6Ghz per core, and ~95W TDP.
In the future, these can be used for company servers, running 128 gigabit network connections, the size slightly larger than an external harddrive case, or a single rack unit!

For the home user, I'd love to see nettop sized computers having these 32/64/128 core processors in them! They'd make more than a bittorrent client with multi network connections, home theater, and personal PC!

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Stop with that already...the iPad 3 can probably run Crysis. Crysis is old and dated now...can it run BF3 on max settings is a better question?[/citation]

Crysis with mods is still one of the best looking games even today.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Stop with that already...the iPad 3 can probably run Crysis. Crysis is old and dated now...can it run BF3 on max settings is a better question?[/citation]
Agree! It's a +/- 5 years old joke now,that crysis joke!

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I have the nagging feeling that I am the only one in here who has absolutely no idea what kind of game 'Crysis' actually is :)[/citation]
It was/is a first person shooter that took unbelievable amounts of processing power to run in it's day. Even on the lowest levels it had a hard time reaching 60fps on gaming systems. Due to these rediculous requirements it became the de-facto standard by which computer hardware was measured for a very long time (well... a long time in computer years anyways). But now even medium level hardware can run Crysis maxed out, so the joke really no longer applies.
>-------Knee-------->

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]5.6 times ASCI RED performance and only 80W. I wonder how much power ASCI RED consumed?[/citation]
About 800KW according to specs.

G

According to Wiki: 850kW, thats 10.000 times more, or roughly 60.000 times less efficient

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]Do you realy need that much cpu power on your next tablet?[/citation]
You can never have too much power!

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
So they only got 16 cores working so far, and they think they can build 4096. You know I was walking at 2 Miles / hr yesterday and today I was able to increase my speed to 3 Miles / hr. please let the marketing folks at Adaptiva know that I am announcing that I will be able to break the words record for running at 365 Miles / Hr. by next Year. Any Sponsors please call customer relations at fuzzy.math@adaptica.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.