Question ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade: Does it come with a heatsink or not?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
One of the SSDs I'm considering for a new build is the 1TB variant of ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade but I need clarification about one aspect.

Tom's Hardware's 2-year-old review https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-gammix-s70-m2-nvme-ssd-review shows and describes the large heatsink and makes a bit of a fuss about how it may pose a problem with some builds.

Now, my question is not whether it will fit into my new system (the configuration is not yet finalised). What confuses me is that all of the sources I looked at recently, including the ADATA site, show it without the heatsink - just a normal heatsink-less PCB with chips.

I'm wondering if the manufacturer has since removed the heatsink and maybe added the name "Blade" to distinguish it from the original packaging. Can anyone please provide enlightenment?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's as you say.

But how did you find out about the C/CS versions? The Amazon link and the xpg site both mention with and without heatsink versions but, unless I missed something, both also mention only the CS version as the model number.

Anyway, all online sources now show it only with a flat heat spreader, not the bulky heatsink in the old review.

reignman

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I have this M.2 and it cames with a very thin aluminum heatsink. i used the mainboard heatsink but i've seen there is a version with a larger one that is almost double the price

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks, and sorry about the late reply. I didn't visit the forum for some time.
It certainly looks as if there are two variants - with and without the bulky heatsink, and that the one without has 'Blade' added after the common name S70. Last night I found a site that has both and prices them exactly the same - the equivalent of US$70.50.