ADATA's S596 Turbo SSD Offers Two Interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamspc

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
All three listed drives are compatible with Windows 7 and Mac Snow Leopard, and promises a 40-percent performance improvement compared to platforms equipped with ordinary SSDs.

Dang it. I just now bought an ordinary SSD.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah, what squiggs said, kinda kills the performance. Anyhow, I would love one of these for my desktop maybe 2 of them in RAID0 :D ... too bad there is no price listed yet.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
USB 2.0 SSD huh? Not really sure how that's practical. It might make a more "stable" mobile backup drive, but I think people don't give physical drives enough credit in that respect. When was the last time the harddrive in your laptop, netbook, or first-gen iPod gave out? Never? Then maybe a cheaper, adequately fast for USB 2.0 HDD will work just as well.

As for going from SATA to USB, its much more practical to use an adapter than pay extra for a drive that includes both interfaces. I mean, sure, you might use eSATA on a desktop, then USB on a laptop, but again, use an adapter (Scythe makes a quality one for like $30).

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]squiggs77[/nom]Anyone who wants an external SSD isn't going to want to use USB 2.0.[/citation]

Maybe not, but at least its an option. Id rather have it there and not use it then vice-versa. Im sure they'll move to USB3 soon enough, but its still rather new, and the installed base with USB2 completely dwarfs it in comparison.

When was the last time the harddrive in your laptop, netbook, or first-gen iPod gave out? Never?

Laptop, 2 years go. Desktop 5 years ago and few more desktop HDD beyond that. Maybe having one going out here soon but it an old laptop with nothing important on it.

Although i can see the importance of ssds. Seen some tornado chasers on tv trying to collect data on them and a major bump in the road stop the hdd in the laptop there using . Required a reboot to get things going again although if i remember right, the tornado roped out by the time the computer rebooted. So any radar data that the computer could of collected wasn't there.

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Funnily enough bought a laptop in 2003, the Mb fried(replaced,then died again),DVD-R/RW fails to even read CD's now and cant be bothered to spend money on new one,fan has failed on CPU cooler. Voltage regulator circuit has also failed on MB. the CPU and hdd are the only thing that still work,though the laptop is still a paperweight at this time. Defrag regularly and it may just last longer than the rest of your PC.

G

with all these feats, the drive will probably be too expensive...

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
When was the last time the harddrive in your laptop, netbook, or first-gen iPod gave out? Never? Then maybe a cheaper, adequately fast for USB 2.0 HDD will work just as well.
They know me at the Seagate RMA centre in burlington.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I have been needing one of these SSD drives for my bloated page file while I quad log wow or play gta iv.[/citation]

You don't need an SSD, You need RAM and Lots of it

Status
Not open for further replies.