Discussion AdBlock detector on Tom's Hardware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lutfij

Titan
:ROFLMAO:

Just because I posted a screenshot of Google's Chrome with the adblocker doesn't mean I didn't try it with FF as well. I have Ublock on FF, mind you and I don't see the same message you do.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
cc.htm is an adobe file type. its for adobe animate. - otherwise known as flash - https://www.adobe.com/au/products/animate.html

are you still getting that page now? it must be part of the warning you get.

i get the please unblock us page on TG but never on TH, I assume its cookie based? If they would link front page to accounts like it used to be, none of us would be getting these warnings, it would only show ads to users with less than 25 BA. Clearly they want to show ads to all users.
Here's what i get on TH and TG sites with different confs:
FF70 + AdBlock Plus = /cc.html full screen blockage
Chrome + AdBlock Plus = dismissible pop-up (same as in Lutfij's screen)
FF70 + uBlock Origin = no blockage or pop-up whatsoever (sites work without issues)
Chrome + uBlock Origin = no blockage or pop-up whatsoever (sites work without issues)

For now, i'm using uBlock Origin and Decentraleyes with FF70 and Chrome since they work without issues while still giving me the security needed. I've also disabled AdBlock Plus but not removed it since you never know when uBlock Origin craps out and i need to switch back to AdBlock Plus.

:ROFLMAO:

Just because I posted a screenshot of Google's Chrome with the adblocker doesn't mean I didn't try it with FF as well. I have Ublock on FF, mind you and I don't see the same message you do.
Well, i can't read your mind and only evidence you provided was that of a Chrome.

Also, just because you can't see the error on your PC doesn't mean there's none for everybody else.
E.g when user complains that he's PC reboots once he launches a game and you come along with same level of thinking where you could say:"I have the same game, i have almost the same PC specs and when i launch that game, my PC doesn't reboot. OP, it's all in your head and stop joking around.". Like... really?

Reactions: KADC

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Well, AdBlock Plus is the most popular ad blocking piece of software and thus, it gets hit the 1st. 2nd in popularity is uBlock Origin and for how long that remains undetected? That's unknown.

Sneaking past the issue doesn't fix it. Also, if the... not if, When the uBlock Origin gets blocked in the same manner as AdBlock Plus is currently blocked then what happens next? Find another escape goat to use? Speak out in hopes for a change? Do nothing?

Not that my uprising would change the minds up top, but at least when there's an issue, i'm willing to speak boldly about it in a calm and polite way. I even provided an alternative solution in this matter.

I got rid of AdBlock Plus due to their extortion-based business model but now either NoScript, uBlock Origin, or Privacy Badger is landing me on the "Ad Blocker Detected" landing page. This is the dumbest way to handle this issue because there's no way to know what script is causing the problem once you're redirected (other than disabling security entirely which is obviously a nonsensical alternative).

I've even used the "price links" for which Tom's Hardware "may receive a commision" to buy things, so TH is just shooting themselves in the foot here by essentially bricking their site to someone who earned them revenue because of basic web-browsing security precautions.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
For now, i'm using uBlock Origin and Decentraleyes with FF70 and Chrome since they work without issues while still giving me the security needed. I've also disabled AdBlock Plus but not removed it since you never know when uBlock Origin craps out and i need to switch back to AdBlock Plus.

That's changed now. I got rid of Ad Block Plus and now I'm using uBlock Origin, Decentralize, and Privacy Badger and I've been sent to the "we no longer want your business" (I've used the "we may get a commision" links to buy things) page.

Aug 3, 2020
Did anyone tried AdLock?
it's not worse than ublock or ABP. Websites almost never detect that Adlock is working. But if even it didn't worked there some ways to defeat adblock detection .

gorbehnare

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Tomshardware organization and management seems to be problematic. First it started affecting the quality and sometimes truthfulness of their reviews. Then they started blocking RSS readers from accessing their articles (I guess they wanted people to visit their site). Then they added amazon and other types of sponsored links (which I actually don't mind and I have used the links to support them). However now they don't even let me visit the site at all, because I use Brave Browser on Linux and Windows 10 with Brave and ublock or any number of reasons.

I don't really think I miss Tomshardware that much since I have been visiting your site less and less anyways, down to less than 1 visit per month already due to previously stated reason. There are other publications and alternatives, so with this last straw I think Tomshardware has really shot themselves in the foot and lost any hope of keeping their existing readers. I'm not disabling my adblocker to visit just your site... you don't deserve it anyways.

Reactions: KADC

hapticyo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
I've been visiting this website (and the previous) for 20 odd years, when it changed to try and trick people (fake links, changing dates on articles, hiding content behind advertising) I started coming less, recently I got this addblock popup and disabled it because they deserve their revenue... wtf this website is unbearable, easily 60% of the landing page is advertising and when you go into an article you have adds and videos jumping all over the page.

I also noticed the page never stops loading, checking on googles built in task manager it's also spiking cpu usage quite a lot, it jumps around 4-20% usage and I've seen spikes of over 80%, how far will they go for their revenue?

https://ibb.co/12mMPVm