Add 2nd Router or AP but still be able to hardwire computer

dargo72

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I currently have a Linksys wireless router (E4200v2) in my basement.

I an upstairs bedroom I have a desktop that is connected to the router via ethernet cable (it is not a wireless computer). This room would be ideal to extend my wireless range to the back of the house and garage.

So, I would like to add a router or access point (connected to basement router via ethernet, so as to not lose signal strength) but be still be able to have the existing computer in that room connected via ethernet cable.

It appears most AP have an input for an ethernet cable but not another port to allow a passthrough connection to a computer. Am I correct?

Also, If I need to use a router, I want it to be essentially a slave of the exisiting router and not pose any issues as far as having to select a different network, based on strength, when moving around the house.

I there an option I'm missing? Could I get a hub and connect it to the existing ethernet cable then run both an AP and computer off of that with no issues?

Thank you,

Solution
The first task is to find out the following regarding your existing router through which the internet cable is connected:-
1) the IP address. This is probably 192.168.1.1
2) The DHCP range. This is best set to the range 192.168.1.3 to say 192.168.1.100. Note that this leaves an allottable address 192.168.1.2. This will be required for the second router.

Now disconnect the first router from the pc Ethernet port, and connect the second wifi router (we shall call it access point or AP from now on)to your PC Ethernet port.

Access the config page of the AP using manufacturer supplied address (usually printed on the label of the router) and login using the id and password. Usually the default in order to access the onfig page is to type the...
Two routers will work out perfect if configured. I use about 5 routers in my old, thick walled, 4 story house to get wireless and ethernet on all floors and area of the house.

Keep your first router setup as is. This get the internet signal, does the DHCP/IP address assigning, etc. Figure out the IP addess of this router, usually 192.168.1.1for linksys default routers.

Get a second router. Plug it directly into a PC into the LAN port without connecting to the other router. This is only to configure it. First thing, setup your wireless info on it for the access point name you want, security, etc.

Now, set a static IP for it. I normally try to go 1 number up from the other router, so 192.168.1.2. Next, disable DHCP on it. We don't want this router handing out IP addresses since the first router will do this and they will conflict if they both try to hand out say 192.168.1.100 NOTE, once you apply these settings, you won't be able to connect with the PC anymore as there is no DHCP so the PC won't get an IP. That's why it's important to set the wireless, apply, set the static ip, apply, then turn off DHCP, and apply.

Now disconnect the router from the PC and plug the ethernet from the first router to one of the LAN ports of the second router and power cycle the router. Give it a minute to boot up. The second router should now connect to the internet from the first one via LAN ports and you can connect to it's wireless.

Now, if this spot in your house doesn't see the first wireless at all, you could give it the same SSID name, so when it looses connection from the basement it will automatically reconnect to the 2nd router as it has the same name.

If you get any signal though from the basement router,then give it a new name as your phone/tablet/laptop will hang on to the basement signal and not automatically switch to the upstairs one.

dargo72

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
OK, I'm restarting. I am currently connected wirelessly via my E4200 v2.

I have the E2500 next to my laptop. How do I connect to the E2500 via my computer (exactly). Where do I plug into the router? An ethernet port (1-4) or the "Internet" port? I then plug the cable into my computer's ethernet port correct?

How do I access a menu to make changes to the router?

Thank you,

UPDATE: I got everything working. Thank you for your help!

gm_navy

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
The first task is to find out the following regarding your existing router through which the internet cable is connected:-
1) the IP address. This is probably 192.168.1.1
2) The DHCP range. This is best set to the range 192.168.1.3 to say 192.168.1.100. Note that this leaves an allottable address 192.168.1.2. This will be required for the second router.

Now disconnect the first router from the pc Ethernet port, and connect the second wifi router (we shall call it access point or AP from now on)to your PC Ethernet port.

Access the config page of the AP using manufacturer supplied address (usually printed on the label of the router) and login using the id and password. Usually the default in order to access the onfig page is to type the IP address (usually 192.169.1.1) on the browser address bar.

Go to the setup page/pages for wireless and complete all your settings here (ssid, region, channel number , security type and password). Do the wireless settings FIRST.

After this go to the LAN set up page and set the address to 198.168.1.2 (the address you had left free in the main router LAN settings). Also disable DCHP. Apply these changes or save them. This is where your problems start.

Now the PC cannot access the config page anymore.

if you try to access it again, whether using 192.168.1.1 or the new IP address 192.168.1.2, the browser will give you an error message. If you try to ping either of these addresses you will be informed that there is a transmission failure.

The only way you can access it again is if you restore the connection of the main router to the internet modem and to the Ethernet of the PC, and then connect up your AP, lan port to lan port, to the main router.

Now if you type 192.168.1.1 on your browser you will get the config page for the main router.

If you type 192.168.1.2, you will get the config page for your AP or second router.

Don't forget, when entering the wireless settings for the AP, make the ssid and password identical to those entered for the main router. However, select a different channel (Select say 1 on the main router, and 6 on the AP).

This will ensure that you can walk out with your ipad connected to the main router without worrying that the signal will become weak. As you walk into the zone of transmission of your AP, you will be handed over seamlessly like what happens to mobile phones from cell to cell.

Hope this puts this vexed issue of accessing your router config page to rest.

The only other way to access the 'altered' config page of the AP is to restore it to factory default and start the whole process afresh.

Solution