[SOLVED] Add to a wireless network

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I'm planning to add a roof mounted wireless weather station connecting it to my PC.
It is possible the house's steel roof will not allow communication between the station and the PC.
If not, I'll need to add a way for the station to access my inhome wireless router, a Motorola SBG6580.
it is an 802.11n 2.4ghz.

I've had it for 6 or 7 years now.
It has been doing it's job nicely, no complaints.
If the roof mount cannot access the router, can I add am wireless access point to the exterior of the house so it can attach to my inhome wireless network, ... or another way?

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thx bill001g,

'm thinking of one of these things:

https://www.amazon.com/JOOWIN-1200M...+wireless+access+point&qid=1615585470&sr=8-18

I'm not knowledgeable about what I'm trying to do here.
But, I think this will allow the weather station full access for ongoing DATA and control while still allowing the type of use we've been doing, 2 PCs, and TV without interfering with each other on the PC they're both connected to.

I have no idea on that brand but 802.11ac stuff is pretty standard so there hardware and firmware tends to be very stable.

It says it is IP65 certification which means it is designed for outdoor use where it can get wet but can not be actually installed underwater.

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
While I was wishy-washing around trying to find out how to insure connecting the station to my PC, they all sold out.
Now I have to wait until they become available again.
Not sure how long that will take.
Thx again.