[SOLVED] Added Identical Memory, Smelled Burning and No Post

Oct 18, 2021
Hey everyone thanks for reading.
PC is self built windows 7 ultimate intel i5 that I’ve had running for years. Motherboard is asrock z77 extreme6.

Bought 2 new 8gb sticks of ram, matching the same model.

when I installed the new ram, just one additional one, the computer wouldn’t post on power and I smelled a burning smell.

I removed the new ram and the pc still wouldn’t post. Error code 10 on motherboard.

Any ideas please? I tried all ram individually in each of the 4 DImm and the pc won’t load at all.

Solution
Sounds like your PC was just asleep and not off. Yes, you most likely fried something.

Don't bother with trying new RAM, from what you described (trying all memory in all slots), your PC is now a boat anchor. Time for a new PC.
Hey everyone thanks for reading.
PC is self built windows 7 ultimate intel i5 that I’ve had running for years. Motherboard is asrock z77 extreme6.

Bought 2 new 8gb sticks of ram, matching the same model.

when I installed the new ram, just one additional one, the computer wouldn’t post on power and I smelled a burning smell.

I removed the new ram and the pc still wouldn’t post. Error code 10 on motherboard.

Any ideas please? I tried all ram individually in each of the 4 DImm and the pc won’t load at all.

Did you do it with PC disconnected from power ?

Oct 18, 2021
Sounds like your PC was just asleep and not off. Yes, you most likely fried something.

Don't bother with trying new RAM, from what you described (trying all memory in all slots), your PC is now a boat anchor. Time for a new PC.

thanks for the reply. Do you think a repair shop can save this? Really great computer. Separately, should the data on the drives be ok?

thanks for the reply. Do you think a repair shop can save this? Really great computer. Separately, should the data on the drives be ok?
Repair shops don't fix individual components (like memory slots) on the motherboard. They would charge you more than what a new computer costs and just replace the motherboard. Also, unless they got the exact same model of motherboard, a full Windows OS reinstall is strongly recommended.

The data on the drive(s) is probably okay but the only way to know for sure is to test them in a separate system.

Oct 18, 2021
Repair shops don't fix individual components (like memory slots) on the motherboard. They would charge you more than what a new computer costs and just replace the motherboard. Also, unless they got the exact same model of motherboard, a full Windows OS reinstall would be needed.

The data on the drive(s) is probably okay but the only way to know for sure is to test them in a separate system.

damn :(((((( I’m stupid

thanks again for the reply.

Oct 18, 2021
Everyone makes mistakes. I've been in the IT business for over 20 years and have made plenty of mistakes.

That's how you learn.;)

thanks haha really loved this computer. Shouldn’t have touched it.

can you green light this plan for me in regards to keeping data

1- build new pc from scratch
Everything new mobo cpu memory video etc

2- once setup connect the hdd via sata
Q: will I be able to just simply browse files of this hdd on a new pc that is windows 10/11 when this hdd was used on windows 7?

3: next connect 2 SSDs from this pc and copy files over.

sound right?