Question Added SATA - No Data Present

Sep 24, 2024
Had a machine which ate two power supplies. Bought new machine and installed the Toshiba SATA drive from the old machine. New machine booted fine from its boot partition of record. Only directory from the newly installed Toshiba which shows up is "net-snmp-windows-x64". Disk Managment reports no errors and seems happy with the "new" drive. Original drive in new machine is a Samsung SSD and is still the boot partition. BIOS doesn't list the Toshiba as being an optional boot partition even though it was in the defunct machine.

Before I go off down the rabbit hole of whatever passes for Norton's these days, have I overlooked some SATA cabling tenet of which I'm clearly unaware?

Thanks

if data cable and power cable is connected, it should be fine. but some motherboards have some sata ports not active while other components are plugged in. which motherboard are you using?
also the new machine might use uefi as boot and your old one MBR, so the new machine in uefi mode can't boot with MBR. for testing usually you can switch in bios from uefi to csm or compatible mode

Sep 24, 2024
if data cable and power cable is connected, it should be fine. but some motherboards have some sata ports not active while other components are plugged in. which motherboard are you using?
also the new machine might use uefi as boot and your old one MBR, so the new machine in uefi mode can't boot with MBR. for testing usually you can switch in bios from uefi to csm or compatible mode
Thank you. I've got the box squirreled away at the moment, so I can't easily dig into things as I could back on the 24th. I did boot into the BIOS once, but didn't see anything obvious regarding booting (but I was looking for source of booting, so I may have overlooked that).