[SOLVED] Adding 2 more 8gb sticks, and now I can't boot

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Adding the same exact model. 2 more 8gb sticks of T-Force Dark DDR4 3000 to my current build that's already housing as many.

When first installed, I get: "cpu or memory changed. Press f1 to setup or f2 to continue". (Something along those lines)

I go into setup, set the dram freq to auto, save and exit. Doesn't boot from there. Power cycle: no boot.

If I take the sticks out, brings that up again, I set autos, and it boots.

Just now I tried each of the new sticks on their own, just a standard 8gb dimm 2 slot. After the setup, boots fine.

Tried booting with the 2 new sticks in dimm 2 and 4. No setup pop up, just the original problem of no signal to monitor but full fan spins and all that.

Tried new stick #1 with old stick #1, (dimm 2 and 4 respectively) booted without setup (after previously being configured for 1 stick).

Tried new stick #2 with old stick #1 (dimm 2 and 4 respectively) no setup, no boot.

Tried new stick #2 with old stick #2, (proper dimms) no setup no boot.

Flashed the bios, retried. Still nothing.

Soooo... I don't have a dead stick, but it does seem like new stick #2 doesn't play well with others... am I missing something, or am I returning for new sticks?

Mobo: MSI Z370 SLI Plus
CPU: i7-8700k
I'm not sure the rest of the specs really matter here but I got it all if needed.

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Have you installed the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? It is difficult to get separate pairs of RAM which seemingly have indistinguishable stats to be perfectly compatible with each other. The only guaranteed way to do this is to buy a quad-channel set of RAM. If you want, here is a video touching on the topic.

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Have you installed the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? It is difficult to get separate pairs of RAM which seemingly have indistinguishable stats to be perfectly compatible with each other. The only guaranteed way to do this is to buy a quad-channel set of RAM. If you want, here is a video touching on the topic.
Yeah I flashed the bios. Nothing.

I've always been told upgrading ram later on with the same stuff should work. It's the exact same sticks. Do they manufacture quad kits to work together or are they all made and packaged differently?

I'll have to watch the video

TRENDING THREADS