Adding 2nd processor

Oct 7, 2018
I just bought a hp z800 workstation. It has the capability of 2 processors, but only came with 1. I would like to install a 2nd one. I have scoured youtube and have a pretty good idea how to do the install and how to properly re-arrange ram. My question is if I have to do anything in BIOS or settings to enable/activate 2nd processor, or will the computer recognize it when it boots up. I do apologize for my complete cluelessness on the matter as i am fairly new to all of this. All info that i am finding is directly related to physically installing new cpu. Please and thank you.

Solution

For that use case, a second CPU is a waste. The software needs to be written to take advantage of it. That stuff isn't.

Like putting premium gas in your car. Unless the engine was tuned to use the extra octane, it is simply a waste.
After adding the second processor I would simply pull the cmos battery and completely reset, and then reconfigure (Once you can get into the bios) your settings in the bios if you have any custom settings.

What is the reason for adding a second CPU? Is this a server of some kind or are you using this like a regular PC?

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
The biggest issue with adding a second CPU to a dual CPU system after the fact is that the CPU's may not technically be a matched pair. Much like Operating Systems that get patched after release CPU's also go through multiple revisions and updates over time, everything from the stepping (the actual version of the CPU Die) to the microcode running in the CPU.

Using a tool like CPU Z can help you identify the stepping among with other details of the CPU you currently use, which can also help you find a second CPU of the same type. Otherwise when you perform your upgrade, you'll need to keep a look out for system instability, random crashes, etc.

With respect to the BIOS, most systems can automatically detect a second CPU's presence and adjust automatically, some do require you to enable multi-cpu support in the BIOS. This isn't tricky and usually requires finding the right setting a quick look up online for your motherboard manual will give you everything you need! :)

Bear in mind as well that software licensing may be an issue if you are running Windows Server Standard I believe that's licensed for up to 8 cores out of the box (I cant remember) but you may need to purchase additional license packages for additional extra CPU cores over the base license. For Windows 10 you might need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations to unlock improved feature support for this type of configuration.

Oct 7, 2018

???

If you are trying to answer, you can either type your response into the box where it says "Your answer" and then hit "Submit your answer" or click the text on any post where it says "Reply to xxxxxxx" and do the same. Clicking "Reply to xxxxx" where the X's are the name of the person who made the post, will quote that post and give you a place to type your answer.

Just clicking the quotes button does nothing except what you see above.

Oct 7, 2018
Def not a server, wouldnt really know what do do with it. This is a bit of a project for me. One of my coworkers turned me onto these refurbished machines and told me that they are super powerful. My intention is recording music, video editing, etc. Im not much of a gamer, but im really interested in eventually getting the Oculus Rift, and i was told that this machine could power it, with some upgrades. Am i way off base here? Lol

USAFRet

Titan

For that use case, a second CPU is a waste. The software needs to be written to take advantage of it. That stuff isn't.

Like putting premium gas in your car. Unless the engine was tuned to use the extra octane, it is simply a waste.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

As we don't know what CPU is in it....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 7, 2018
Yes, sorry. It is 5620. Fat fingers on a little keyboard. I knew buying this thing that i was going to upgrade cpu and graphics card. I was just curious about how and if i should utilize the dual option.

Which is exactly what I was going to say, hence, why I asked that question. Especially for gaming, but probably equally so for these other things as well.

In all probability, most of the processes in the software you are planning to use can't even make use of the second CPU, as they weren't designed to do so.

At the Dell Workstation Owners Club at Tech Power Up ( some of the guys there have HP also) we're finding that the dual CPU chipset only supports 2 QPI CPUs. 5000 series Xeons.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/dell-workstation-owners-club.243124/#post-3830958
The fastest is the 4 core/8 thread X5687 3.6 GHz. The X5690 is the fastest 6 core /12 thread 3.46GHz. They both have higher turbo speeds.
The 3 channel DDR3 RAM helps keep these old CPUs relevant compared to consumer CPUs from that era.