[SOLVED] Adding a second wireless router to comcast

Jun 10, 2021
I need better wireless coverage in my shop so I want to install my Netgear XR500out in the shop and connect it to my existing Xfinity wireless router via ethernet cable. We also plan to have the occasional LAN party out there. Unfortunately, I keep finding conflicting info on the videos I've found about doing this. Some say to connect the extension ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the XR500 while others have said to connect it to the WAN port. Some videos say to disable DHCP while others say to leave it enabled.

I want to be able to use both ethernet and wireless with the XR500. This is all very overwhelming for this old newb and I could really use some help here - preferably with training wheels if possible. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I need better wireless coverage in my shop so I want to install my Netgear XR500out in the shop and connect it to my existing Xfinity wireless router via ethernet cable. We also plan to have the occasional LAN party out there. Unfortunately, I keep finding conflicting info on the videos I've found about doing this. Some say to connect the extension ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the XR500 while others have said to connect it to the WAN port. Some videos say to disable DHCP while others say to leave it enabled.

I want to be able to use both ethernet and wireless with the XR500. This is all very overwhelming for this old newb and I could really use some help here - preferably with training wheels if possible. Any help...
Your model has an access point mode, and that's what you want to use. Set up your wifi access and then set up access point mode. Connect the cable to LAN (not WAN). You can find the access point IP on your xfinity router's list of clients to log back in and confirm your configuration.

Enjoy!

kanewolf

Titan

I want to be able to use both ethernet and wireless with the XR500. This is all very overwhelming for this old newb and I could really use some help here - preferably with training wheels if possible. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Either way will work. There are benefits for each approach. For example, if you use it in router mode (connected to the WAN port), then the rest of your home network is protected from the LAN party. Internet will still work, but port forwarding requires more work. Using it in access point mode (connected to the LAN port with DHCP disabled) gives you direct access to the rest of your home network.
Either way you should be able to use wired and wireless connectivity.

Solution