[SOLVED] Adding a Soundbar to LG 43UD79 43 inch Monitor

Dec 24, 2018
My Monitor:
LG 43UD79 43 inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor
(3840 x 2160, 4x HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-C, 350 cd/m2, HDCP 2.2)

My Soundbar:
Yamaha YAS105BLB Soundbar with Dual Built-in Subwoofers

I am interested in adding a Soundbar to my LG Monitor (the model as shown above).

Most of the Soundbar that I have seen (considering to purchase) takes in Optical input.
However, the LG monitor that I have does not have an Optical port that supports a Soundbar.

The LG 43UD79 43 inch the following specifications :

DisplayPort : 1 (DP 1.2)
Mini DisplayPort : No
HDMI : 2 (HDMI 2.0), 2 (HDMI 1.4)
DVI : No
VGA : No
DisplayPort Out : No
USB : 2 (USB 3.0)
USB C : 1 (DisplayPort Alternate Mode)
Analog Audio Out 3.5mm : 1
Microphone In 3.5mm : No
Digital Optical Audio Out : No
Analog Audio Out RCA : No

Could I purchase a converter or adapter that would allow me to connect my Soundbar to my LG Monitor ?

If yes, could someone please help suggest something ?

Thank you,
Dinesh

Solution

As the TV only supports analog output. That's the best you can hope for without a new TV. If you are referring to using an analog to optical adapter. It would not help the sound bar in any way. Since you are just letting the adapter do the analog to digital conversion instead. Yamaha probably has a better built in converter than some cheap no name adapter.

It's still just a two channel bar. So, surround is just simulated anyways. Analog audio is perfectly fine if the source is good and there is no interference. Keep the audio and power cables separated by several inches. A perpendicular crossing...
As far as I can tell. The Yamaha YAS-105 series has an analog audio (3.5mm) jack. Since your TV has an analog audio output (3.5mm). You just need a 3.5mm cable of the appropriate length.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00NO73MUQ/

Dec 24, 2018

Hi,

By using the analog audio cable/jack, would it be resulting in a negative performance of the soundbar itself ?

Thanks,
Dinesh

As the TV only supports analog output. That's the best you can hope for without a new TV. If you are referring to using an analog to optical adapter. It would not help the sound bar in any way. Since you are just letting the adapter do the analog to digital conversion instead. Yamaha probably has a better built in converter than some cheap no name adapter.

It's still just a two channel bar. So, surround is just simulated anyways. Analog audio is perfectly fine if the source is good and there is no interference. Keep the audio and power cables separated by several inches. A perpendicular crossing is fine. You just don't want them running in parallel right next to each other. Which has always been the case with audio cables.

It would be nice if they used RCA plugs. But the TV doesn't so it is a moot point. Which probably saved them 25 cents at the factory.

Solution
Dec 24, 2018
Thank you for your response. The Monitor is actually a PC Monitor and not a TV. I am contemplating if I should get a TV instead - for my productivity and to watch movies on it if possible.

I am not a gamer, so I don't worry about input lags but Chroma sub-sampling is something I need to note on.