[SOLVED] Adding an extra switch to my case

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
I have a darkFlash DLM21 mesh case, with an RGB-heavy build inside. My case fans are some upHere set from Amazon, that come with their own hub with a what appears to be a 2-pin push-button switch for cycling through the RGB patterns (by clicking it) or switching over to motherboard control (by holding down for 5 secs). Right now, the wire with the push button thing is just dangling out of my case, but I'd like to figure out a more elegant solution.

The button looks just like one of these: https://www.newegg.com/p/1W7-005X-00043

I saw that my case's reset button seems to use a similar switch. There is also a square groove next to the reset button that looks like it is made for holding one of these, with a hole for the screw/washer to hold it in place, but there is no button or hole for it in the case itself, so I would have to drill a small hole in the case to utilize this.

Should I just replace the reset button with the RGB control button? Drill a hole for a new button on the front panel? Drill a hole in an empty PCI slot cover and install it there? Something else? I tried googling this for a while, but anything like "adding an extra switch to my PC" gives me results that don't really answer my question. Is there a good place to find examples of this simple kind of mod?

Solution
Not sure regarding

"And now that I look closely, I think they (in their somewhat imperfect English way) are suggesting replacing the reset switch. "After connection can be achieved, using the reset button conversion model of the chassis" in the 4th photo diagram. "

(My underlining,)

May be viable but without a computer reset button how would you be able to reset the computer should that become necessary? PSU power switch on/off perhaps but that is the fall back (at least for me) if the computer's reset button does not work.

And I would also be concerned about the computer's reset button wiring/pinouts being a match to the UpHere reset button's wiring/pinouts.

RGB is messy enough as it is with 3 or 4 pin configurations...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link show the UpHere fans that you installed?

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Addressable-Motherboard-Adjustable-Controller/dp/B08BCJ6FZW

Two things:

1) "Right now, the wire with the push button thing is just dangling out of my case, but I'd like to figure out a more elegant solution.

2) "Drill a hole in an empty PCI slot cover and install it there? "

I would not introduce another wire switch and I certainly would not replace the reset button. Nor would I drill any holes in the PC case.

If the existing RGB push button has a long enough wire I would go with 2) above. Likely the simplest to do.

You may be able to find a PCI slot cover that already has a large enough hole in it to thread the RGB push button wire through the hole. Maybe an extra slot cover from some other PCI component.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/pci-slot-cover-plate/s?k=pci+slot+cover+plate

Good chance that you or someone you know has unused covers laying about.,

If you do need to drill a hole in the slot cover you can and should do that safely well away from PC/case etc.. You do not want any metal fragments anywhere around your computer and other devices.

The slot covers can be very hard and careful drilling will be necessary using the proper drill, bit(s) and work area.

Just my thoughts - there may be other ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: werther595

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
Thanks so much for your reply.

No, I have this kit:

And now that I look closely, I think they (in their somewhat imperfect English way) are suggesting replacing the reset switch. "After connection can be achieved, using the reset button conversion model of the chassis" in the 4th photo diagram.

Two things:

1) "Right now, the wire with the push button thing is just dangling out of my case, but I'd like to figure out a more elegant solution.

2) "Drill a hole in an empty PCI slot cover and install it there? "

I would not introduce another wire switch and I certainly would not replace the reset button. Nor would I drill any holes in the PC case.

I actually got the idea of drilling a new hole from this review video, at around 9:50:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUORjYdSE0

That guy just drills out the hole in the back of the case and fixes the button in place with a hot glue gun! LOL. Yeah, I am thinking a hole in an empty PCI slot cover is likely the answer. I thought I'd check with some folks here to see if there are other solutions from people smarter than me (it is a big pool).

Thanks again

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure regarding

"And now that I look closely, I think they (in their somewhat imperfect English way) are suggesting replacing the reset switch. "After connection can be achieved, using the reset button conversion model of the chassis" in the 4th photo diagram. "

(My underlining,)

May be viable but without a computer reset button how would you be able to reset the computer should that become necessary? PSU power switch on/off perhaps but that is the fall back (at least for me) if the computer's reset button does not work.

And I would also be concerned about the computer's reset button wiring/pinouts being a match to the UpHere reset button's wiring/pinouts.

RGB is messy enough as it is with 3 or 4 pin configurations.

Not in any disagreement with doing so or how the RGB reset matter is accomplished. It is just that there are enough uncertainties involved that make me very wary about the process.

Based on the "unboxing" video, the RGB reset button appears to have a long enough cable to extend to a PCI slot cover.

I would go that route leaving the computer reset button alone and of course - no case drilling.

Solution