[SOLVED] Adding an SSD and transferring files from the old HDD

asefan27

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
I have an HDD which has windows 7 pro installed on and have recently bought an SSD. I have a windows 10 edu license and was thinking of installing win 10 to the SSD, moving my files from the HDD to SSD and deleting everything from the HDD(os included) to use it as storage.

Can I just change the boot order and install win 10 to the SSD? Does the HDD work as storage then and can i transfer the files between? I don't want to lose any data and this option seemed really easy to me if it is at all possible.

Didn't know where to post this since it includes both hardware and software, sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Solution
When installing the new OS, unplug the HDD. The Windows 10 installer may see the bootloader on the HDD and attempt to make an entry in there or update it. Afterwards, when you want to transfer your files over, you can either change the boot order or go into your motherboard's boot menu.

Also yes, the HDD will just appear as storage like any other storage device after you boot in to the SSD. There may be some permissions issues, but as long as you're working on an admin account, you can generally override those.
When installing the new OS, unplug the HDD. The Windows 10 installer may see the bootloader on the HDD and attempt to make an entry in there or update it. Afterwards, when you want to transfer your files over, you can either change the boot order or go into your motherboard's boot menu.

Also yes, the HDD will just appear as storage like any other storage device after you boot in to the SSD. There may be some permissions issues, but as long as you're working on an admin account, you can generally override those.

Reactions: asefan27
Solution

asefan27

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019

Thanks for the help. I will rummage through my USBs ASAP!