[SOLVED] Adding external cellular antenna to ATT Data enabled laptop ?

Mar 26, 2022
Hi

I am looking to see if it is plausible to have a USB-A to antenna cable go from my cell data laptop that runs about 10 ft (out my car window, and on to the roof). I have a cellular enabled laptop, but when I use it in the car for work the speeds can be significantly reduced - (especially if I'm in an area with limited coverage). Is it possible to have something like this that will both download and upload from the external Antenna and it will work with ATT's network and all?

Thanks

Loma

Solution
A antenna is basically a piece of wire or metal that has certain dimensions optimum for the frequency you are using.

It is not something that is hooked up via a USB connection which is a much more complex data transfer cable.

They do make cellular antenna but the problem would be how do you attach the wire to radio chip inside the laptop. Maybe you can do it but it could also be like a cellphone that you can't even get the case open to the parts.

Something you hook up via USB would completely replace the cellular radio. In some ways you could use your cellphone and use a tether option. They make all kinds of USB modems that will do this. You could also get a outdoor router and use a ethernet cable. Some outdoor routers...
A antenna is basically a piece of wire or metal that has certain dimensions optimum for the frequency you are using.

It is not something that is hooked up via a USB connection which is a much more complex data transfer cable.

They do make cellular antenna but the problem would be how do you attach the wire to radio chip inside the laptop. Maybe you can do it but it could also be like a cellphone that you can't even get the case open to the parts.

Something you hook up via USB would completely replace the cellular radio. In some ways you could use your cellphone and use a tether option. They make all kinds of USB modems that will do this. You could also get a outdoor router and use a ethernet cable. Some outdoor routers you can attach actual antenna to increase the distance.
I would start at att store and see what they sell you can then look for something similar from another vendor that sell equipment that works on att network. Be careful this can be very messy like cell phones a lot of this equipment does not work on all providers networks so you must read the fine print.

Solution