Adding extra memory!?

Akash_1994

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
I have G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 now... my mbo has 4 slots. Is it possible to add more memory in the future without replacing the ones which i have now

Also what happens if i add memory with 2400 mhz

Solution
Hey again, Akash.

There should be no issue to upgrade your RAM memory at some point. However @Wayfall is correct, even if a different memory module works for you, it will be bottlenecked by the slower RAM modules you already have.

So even though it's possible for different memory modules to work together, I'd strongly advise against getting once with different latency, timing and voltage. The best case scenario is to get the exact same memory module as the ones you already have. Go for a different brand only if you have to and keep in mind the values I've mentioned above.

You can find more about that here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/07/what-are-the-rules-on-mixing-two-different-types-of-ram/

edit: Oops looks like a few...
The 2400mhz RAM will downclock to work at the speed of the lowest RAM installed that being 2133MHZ ones.

Just stick another lot of G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2 x 4GB DDR4-2133 in and you'll have 16GB all together.

Assassins creed syndicate is the only game I have seen that has used a total of 10GB of RAM! I was happy I stuck another set of RAM in (I have Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600MHZ Dual channel) Also mean I can now have as many tabs and windows open as I want.

iXeon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
yes you can add more without replacing the current memories , but it's better to buy a 4 module pack that has been tested and compatible with each other.
about the frequency if you use 4 rams with independent frequencies the motherboard will automatically down clock the other faster rams to a the frequency of the lower ram in your case , if you buy a ram runs at 2400 Mhz the motherboard will take it down to 2133 , that's of course happens if you don't manually set the frequencies.

I don't recommend mixing memory, it can cause instabilities in the system or even prevent it from booting properly.

I recommend selling the memory you have now (about $25-30 since it's used) and buying a kit that has the specs you want.

I recommend Corsair, G.Skill, GeIL, Crucial and Kingston.

Hey again, Akash.

There should be no issue to upgrade your RAM memory at some point. However @Wayfall is correct, even if a different memory module works for you, it will be bottlenecked by the slower RAM modules you already have.

So even though it's possible for different memory modules to work together, I'd strongly advise against getting once with different latency, timing and voltage. The best case scenario is to get the exact same memory module as the ones you already have. Go for a different brand only if you have to and keep in mind the values I've mentioned above.

You can find more about that here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/07/what-are-the-rules-on-mixing-two-different-types-of-ram/

edit: Oops looks like a few more answers were posted while I was typing. :)

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

To sum up what Tradesman said: Bottom line: Can it be done? Yes. Can we guarantee that it will be error free? No.

TRENDING THREADS