Question Adding Gen4 M.2 NVMe 2tb to my system which has m.2 NVMe 1tb gen3

Knadim

Commendable
Oct 10, 2020
I already purchased WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X gen4 and planning to add it to my system which is:
  • X570 aorus elite wifi (2 slots m.2)
  • Ryzen 7 5800x3d (will be upgrading from 3600x)
  • 1tb M.2 NVMe gen3 silicon power (windows drive)
  • RTX2070 super
  • 4tb hdd
  • 2x2tb ssd (newly purchased)
Should I clone the existing 1tb gen3 windows drive to the new gen4 m.2 or add the new gen4 m.2 to be second drive for games installation files.
Note: I will install the new cpu and the ssds all one time with newly gen4.m.2

Lutfij

Titan
add the new gen4 m.2 to be second drive for games installation files
I'd just add the drive and have that as the game drive/library. Your platform won't be able to leverage the higher speeds due to the limitation of the slot on the motherboard. Even if you did migrate over to a platform that had PCIe4.0x4 support for your SSD, you won't notice real world performance differences with OS and app load ups. Which slot is the OS drive populating on your motherboard? M2A_SOCKET is the slot you want the M.2 PCIe4.0x4 SSD populating on the motherboard.

Just be sure that your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version prior to dropping in the new SSD to avoid any possible compatibility issues.

Reactions: Knadim

Knadim

Commendable
Oct 10, 2020
add the new gen4 m.2 to be second drive for games installation files
I'd just add the drive and have that as the game drive/library. Your platform won't be able to leverage the higher speeds due to the limitation of the slot on the motherboard. Even if you did migrate over to a platform that had PCIe4.0x4 support for your SSD, you won't notice real world performance differences with OS and app load ups. Which slot is the OS drive populating on your motherboard? M2A_SOCKET is the slot you want the M.2 PCIe4.0x4 SSD populating on the motherboard.

Just be sure that your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version prior to dropping in the new SSD to avoid any possible compatibility issues.
Thanks for the reply.
My OS drive is the old one M.2 PCIe3.0 SSD is on the M2A_SOCKET and I didn't install the new one M.2 PCIe4.0x4 SSD yet.
I am struggling to swap or to add it to the M2B_SOCKET

TRENDING THREADS